Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound issues from speakers with Vista.

• Please log in to reply

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Guys.

OK. So I am having an audio issue with Vista, in which I didn't have before with XP.

I have Hyundai Z-5500's, you can question these speakers all you want, but they are actually great. Moving on...

Before I upgraded to Vista, my speakers worked fine, however set to a 8CH ratio with the drivers. In Vista, the max ratio I can set my speakers are to 7:1.

I have a 5:1 system, and if I set my system to 5:1, my front speakers don't work.

Now, if I set my audio to 7:1, all sound comes out, except in the front speakers the sound comes out dodgy. (crackly, grainy, tappy) sort of sound, like it's really bad quality. Think of a High Hat on a drum kit, it makes that sort of sound, only with music playing.

However, if I test the audio configuration via the drivers, the sound from all speakers come out absolutely fine, with no bad sound detail at all. This only works with a channel of 7:1.

If I try and test my sound out on 5:1, all my speakers work except the fronts, and when I test the front speakers in the 5:1 audio channel, the sound would end up coming from the rear speakers but REALLY LIGHTLY, like extremely quietly, just hearable if the room is silent.

I've tried ditching the motherboard drivers and just going with some Realtek drivers from the site, but it ended up being the same version corresponding with my motherboard. :)

I have an ASUS P5Q motherboard, and I am using on board sound.

So what is the problem? Am I doing something wrong? I have played around with the audio playback devices and to no avail. I have double checked and triple checked every cord in and out of the speakers, they are set up the way they should be.

Would a new sound card fix this problem? I was thinking about buying the ASUS Xonar D2K sound card, however I really don't want to do that unless if I really have to. Or should I wait for Windows 7 and see how that plays out?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Imran.

Advertisements

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Anyone? Help?

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Bump...

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
An update...

The speakers worked fine in L4D in 7:1 Channel, haven't tried any other games though.

Any help would be appreciated.