Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS2 Gaming Foot Pedals

• Please log in to reply

dooncan

dooncan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello lovely people at Geeks To Go!

I have found an old set of foot pedals that somebody has thrown out that I would like to use with Microsoft Flight Sim. I believe they had been used for a racing game as they were lying next to a racing wheel (which I didn't bother taking)but I assume that a set of pedals can be used for racing or flying games......?

I have tried plugging the pedals into the PS2 slot on my Toshiba Satellite A50 laptop but Flight Sim Says that it can't see anything and recommends installing driver software. I don't know what drivers to look for as there is nothing written anywhere on the pedals - no name/make/company......just a sticker with "PC801" written on it - don't know whether this helps......

Is it possible for me to download a generic set of driver software for these pedals? There are just two pedals - left and right. How can I tell whether my PS2 slot is even working onthe laptop......it's been so long since I used a PS2 slot on a computer.....everythings Plug and Play USB these days!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

Cheers,

Dooncan

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
without knowing what type of controller it is...it's pretty difficult to tell what drivers you'd need...

you probably should have picked up the steering wheel as well...as the pedals seem to be an accessory for the wheel...and not a stand alone controller... i BET that the pedals ACTUALLY plug in to the steering wheel controller and then the steering wheel plugs into the computer (when used correctly)...which would explain why windows doesn't try to detect the pedals when you plug them in by themselves

dooncan

dooncan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so soon!

I'll try and retrace my steps and find the wheel tomorrow..... :)

Is it possible that I could get a PS/2 to USB adaptor and then use some kind of generic drivers? I took the pedals apart and it appears that it is just two potentiometers attached to the pedals.....surely there must be some basic programme out there to read the output they are giving?

Thanks for you help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would have to custom write an application to translate that input...which wouldn't be THAT hard...but you'd need an interface of some kind to interpret the info coming from the device...like a microcontroller or something....the computer isn't going to just read the potentiometer output and automatically know what it's talking about...

the lack of other electronics in the device just reinforces my thoughts that the system is a 2 part job

dooncan

dooncan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ah I see.

I'm probably going to buy a Saitek Yoke Flight Control System which has usb inputs for pedals and throttle controls......would I be able to use a PS/2:USB adapter and plug the pedals I found into the Saitek Yoke system...?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe? but i've only ever seen usb to PS/2 adapters...never PS/2 to usb (though i'm sure someone's made one)....the problem there is whether your yoke would have the ability to translate the pots in the pedals correctly