Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD connector help

• Please log in to reply

Silverpoet34

Silverpoet34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys I found your site by browsing through the endless google results and after looking around it seems to be a really helpful site so hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. My laptop died a cpl weeks ago and I took it in and they said the motherboard was dead and so now im left with the problem that I need some of the information off my hard drive and I dont know how to go about it. Is it possible to buy some type of connector that I can hook the hard drive up to my desktop and pull the info I need off of it? Here are the only two pics I have of my hard drive so hopefully this will help. Any information you can give me will be great. thanks alot in advance for the help.
harddrive.jpg
hdd.jpg

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can get a USB/Firewire enclosure and put your old disk in it. That way you will have a external disk to backup data to. Just make sure that the enclosure is for a 2.5" disk (which I believe is what you have).

There are also test adapters which you can connect the disk with, but that is for short term use.

Silverpoet34

Silverpoet34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
pRS1C_5261694w345.jpg Would a docking station like this work or do I strictly need a 2.5 firewire adpater. Is that adapter something that most cpu repair shops commonly stock if radioshack wouldnt have it? I live quite a ways from any city so I only have radioshack and 2 cpu repair shops as quick options.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I suspect that such a docking station would work, but it does not look like there is anything to protect the disk against static shock.

I know that newegg carries the adapter, but I am not sure if repair places would carry. I suspect you would have a better chance of finding an enclosure than the adapter and for long term use, that would be better.

Radioshack's web page shows that they carry disk enclosures.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are a couple ways that you can get the info. It depends on what you want and how you want to do it.

The laptop drive (2 1/2 inch) can be attached as a slave in a desktop using a adapter like THIS.
You can also put the drive in a enclosure (as suggested). Make sure it is an enclosure that will accept the 2 1/2 inch drive. Generally what is used is a USB enclosure like These. The drive you showed is a ide (eide).