Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disk spontaneously dying?

• Please log in to reply

Mardius

Mardius

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there I really hope that you can help me.

I have just bought a new hard disk here 2 days ago, because my other kept dying. But now my new one is doing it too! When I install windows xp on it, it runs fine for a day or 2, but then all sort of failures starts popping op. The hard disk starts to make a wierd noise, like if it where starting up, and 1 second later shutting down. Every time the sound occurs, windows freeshez and im unable to do anything. My D: drive is unafftected though, but the whole C: drive gets corrupted. Then suddenly when I restart, the computer says something about: "Put system recovery cd in" or something like that. If I restart, it goes to a bluescreen, and automatically restarts. I have recently bought a new graphic card, and im wondering if my PC is underpowered, and that is killing the harddrives? Just seems wierd though. Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU 2.4 Ghz
Graphic Card: Geforce 275 GTX
Ram: 2GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-S2L
BIOS: BIOS-version Award Software International, Inc. F2
Powersupply: HKC 564 Watt
Harddisk: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I run the WD LifeGuard and got this error:

Status code = 7 failure checkpoint = 97

Any idea?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could be having a problem with the power supply, the motherboard, the cable to the disk, memory or perhaps a cooling problem.

The first thing to check is that all cooling fans are running properly and that the inside of the case is clean of dust/dirt.

The next thing to try is running the diagnostics program from the maker of the disk and see if that detects any problems. If the disk is reported to have a problem, you might try connecting it to another machine and see if the problem occurs there too, which would point to either the disk or the machine.

You can also buy a testing device for the power supply, but that will not tell you if the power supply is overloaded.

Mardius

Mardius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the side taken off, with a big fan blowing in, to make sure it isn't overheating - Problem is still there

Checked, double checked, and tripled checked all wires, this problem isn't new it started 2 weeks ago - Problem still occurs

I have run the diagnostics program for my WD Caviar black, got Status code = 7 failure checkpoint = 97 - Problem still occurs

Have tried to take all parts out of the computer, making sure every fan was dust free - No change here either

The powersupply is the only thing I haven't checked, just seems wierd that it should cause my windows installation to go crazy, but leaving the other data on my D drive unchanged. And It isn't always after a day the drive shuts down, sometimes 2 and even 3 days go's by without a problem. The computer play games perfectly, just untill the sound starts.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Did you try a different cable to the disk? A visual inspection of cables is not always good enough. It can look fine, but still have a problem.

If it does not pass the diag, then you have a problem. Have you tried running the diag on another machine with a different cable to see if it works there?

Is the second disk on the same cable? Is it EIDE (PATA) or SATA?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm betting its the PSU is not giving enough juice...The GTX 275 needs two PCI-E 6-pin power connectors to supply power to the card, so a power supply with the appropriate power connectors is the best solution as using adapters is the the second and less desirable option to feed this card..it draws 250 watts all by itself ...
your psu specs are only 75% Efficiency at full load ..that brings it down to only 435watts and only 30A on the 12V rail
then its only a ATX 12V 1.3 version psu from about April 2003 and we are up to Version 2.2....thats 2 versions up from what you have and I can't put my finger on the exact draw on the video card draw requirements I did find this...
RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS

* Non-SLI: 630Watt or greater

Mardius

Mardius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah thanks for the help, it was also my first thought, but the problem is that the first time it did this, was with my old Geforce 8800 GTX. The graphic card was pretty screwed (fan didn't work and such), so when the computer crashed I thought it just had crashed so I bought this new one. So I sort of checked that option off.... But is it really true that your harddisk can die from a underpowered pc?

Just tried switching around on my Sata cables, to see if it is one of them, it runs fine now, will see if it crash later

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
An overloaded power supply can result in no end of problems. The electronics needs the correct voltage to operate properly.

Mardius

Mardius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah its probaly that, the whole computer died today, with a spectacular loud popping noise, so I guess its the powersupply. Have ordred a new 750W, and im hopping that it will solve my problems.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
usually a quality psu dies gracefully...sometimes when a cheap psu dies it goes postal taking other components with it...hope for the best