Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, blue lines running up and down screen.

• Please log in to reply

FPSFan

FPSFan

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
So, some strange things were happening to me lately.

I tried to play a game "Missing Information" half life 2 episode two modification running on the OrangeBox engine, and whenever I shined my flashlight at a character, the game would go freaky: everything turns white, blue lines ran up and down the screen, and the game would freeze. Pressing control-alt-delete about 5 times would close the game, and everything outside of the game would be fine. After restarting the game about 7 more times and still getting the same results, I gave up and tried an old Half-Life 1 Opposing force game. After playing for about 1 minute, the game would just freeze and close. So, I decided to stop playing games for the rest of the day.

Next day, I turn on my computer and very weird things happen! On the motherboard startup screen, there are orange and grey boxes everywhere, white algebraic equations running across completely black screens, and then blue lines scrolling up and down my screen past the login screen. I checked the device manager and it said that "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX hardware could not start." (a picture is attached at the bottom of the thread.)

So, I did some troubleshooting.

What I did:

1.) Uninstalled the graphics card in device manager. Upon turning on the computer, Add Hardware wizard automatically came up saying "Found New Hardware: VGA Controller" every time the card was uninstalled.
2.) Uninstalled the Nvidia graphics drivers completely.
3.) Uninstalled the EVGA Display Drivers completely.
4.) Uninstalled DirectX 9.0c drivers completely.
5.) Turned off the computer, took out the card, cleaned any dust off of it and turned the newly found fan option from "low" to "high". After that, I put the card back in the machine.
6.) Reinstalled all the previously mentioned drivers again.

Upon turning the computer back on, I still have the same problems! I am so frustrated on what to do! The card in the machine seems fine! I would be very happy if someone can help me with this puzzling problem!

Also, here's some more information about the machine's hardware:

Intel Core Quad Core Processor 2.4 GHz
Asus PK5 Motherboard
4GB Ram
500watt Power Supply
4 Fans
Gateway HD 1080p 1920x1200 Monitor

(Please let me know if you need anymore information!)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009_10_08_162115.jpg

Edited by FPSFan, 08 October 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
FPSfan,
Looks like your graphics card is gimping on one leg. I myself just recently had this happen when I was playing Aion online and the graphics started going haywire. I tried everything you did plus more and the problem still persisted. Then it got as severe as my Windows XP installation crashing, freezing, and even a random blue screen at one point. Let it be known this was right after I had just REINSTALLED my operating system, brand new OS installation and this all happened right in the middle of playing Aion. With that being said, I'm 99% sure that your graphics card is either bad or going bad, get it replaced. I just purchased a GTS 250 for $135 to replace my previous GeForce 8600GT that kicked the bucket.

FPSFan

FPSFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I'm currently set at getting a new "GeForce GTX 285 1GB GDDR3 OC PCIe 2.0" graphics card.

FPSFan

FPSFan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ended up buying the Nvidia GeForce 285. Everything runs normal again, great graphics for $319. Thanks for your help, 3quilibrium.