Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Phillips DVD + RW SDVD 8820 problem on inspiron e1505

• Please log in to reply

michael420

michael420

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am hoping you all can give me a hand or at least tell me if I need to plan on buying new components. I am new to this, so forgive me if I may need some prompting. I have a Inspiron e1505 from Dell and have never had any problems with it. Recently (read about 1-2 weeks) I found that my CD/DVD drive didn't seem to be working. The Media canter wold not recognize any disk that I placed into it. When I went into the device manager, I found that I had the device listed in the topic. I have tried the troubleshooting suggestions and have come up with error 39 (I think) which is telling me the driver is missing or corrupted. I tried searching for updated drivers (and Windows is telling me there are no drivers more current), and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device (which tells me there was a problem reinstalling and puts me back at square one). I even went back and tried to reinstall with the original driver disk that came with the computer (not hoping for much since the disk drive is the problem). I have had ne luck and am looking for any other suggestions.

Michael

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

michael420

michael420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just wanted to thank you. The second option seemed to work, although it did mess with my itunes. I was due to download the most current version anyway, so that seems to have corrected that problem and the comp. is back to normal again.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Cool :)
Actually, it was iTuness messing up your computer, adding those filters.