Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Noise

• Please log in to reply

sokka

sokka

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi, I have a Liteon DVD burner and it makes strange churning noises if the Sims 3 disc is in it but I am not playing. The noises sound like it is trying to read the disc but it cant. This might be because the disc is dual-layered (I think). The noises ONLY come for this disc. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the disk out when you're not using it? :)

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK, but I would like to have known why these noises are here, because it sounds like the disc is being damaged or the drive is malfunctioning. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems you have answered your question in the original post.
Is the drive a dual layer capable drive?
If not the drive will attem[t to read but won't be able to.
The noise you may be hearing could be from the laser continually trying to scan the disc.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
But if I put the disc in and click Play game on the auto play straight away it works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then the only answer I can assume is that the disc itself maybe warped just enough to throw the drive off balance.
There is normally a noise when the drive spins up or tries to access the disc.
As Neil Jones posted the best and most logical resolution is to take the disc out when not in use.
This will prevent any damage from happening and stop the noise also. Anytime there is a disc in the drive the drive will try to access it even though you are not attempting to use it.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK, Thanks guys! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.