Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused about windows repair

• Please log in to reply

qw111

qw111

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been getting stop errors 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0,0,0) for a while. My computer would restart during the windows load at start up constantly, freeze if it loads and gets to the desktop, and I would have to keep restarting my computer until I won the lottery so to speak and the computer would work ok, for that session. Sometimes, it would just BSOD and automatically shut down my computer and would not start up again when pressing the power button. I would have to switch the power supply button on the back of the computer to off and then back on again, in order to power up the computer for this instance.

So i finally decided to load up my XP disc and run the repair option on it. I followed this guide: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Basically, I pressed enter to go to setup and pressed r on my "C:\Windows ..."

Then it goes to copy some files and when it rebooted, it began to install windows again. After it finished installing, I realized that it erased all the settings and drivers etc.. but my documents and programs installed were located on my C:\Documents and Settings\(my old user name)

So my question is, is this what's supposed to happen? The repair option basically formatted my hard drive without deleting the documents/programs etc. installed before?

Thanks for reading.

-QW

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds more like you did a parallel install then a repair.

qw111

qw111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the swift reply! I am assuming that you cannot reverse this process? Would I be better of just backing up my data and reformatting my whole hard drive all together?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually if it is a parallel install you can just reinstall programs and they should work fine.
Below I am including the instructions for a parallel install. Is this what you did?

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

qw111

qw111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, that is what I did. However, I did not rename the file of C:\Windows, so I guess it was overwritten. If I installed all the programs I had, wouldn't it take up more space since my previous programs and documents are still occupied on the hard drive. Would it make more sense to just format my hard drive and install everything over, which is what I could be doing, but after formatting, I would start with all the capacity available in the hard drive.

Also, I tried running windows update earlier, but I could not connect to the windows update website. It is giving me a "The page cannot be displayed" error.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Backup your important data and then do a format and fresh install.
Yes this would give you the most available space on your hd then.
Below I will include the instructions for backup and reinstall.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

After the above is done then go on to the next step.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

qw111

qw111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you rshaffer61 for your advice. I have an extra HD that I will be sure to backup my important documents on to.

-QW

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good luck and let me know if you need further assistance. This topic will remain open so if you do need more help just post and I will continue to monitor it for you.