Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After BIOS update, Windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Tensaei

Tensaei

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Info:
Windows XP S3
Intel D945PLM board. (I'm assuming this is what kind of motherboard I have from my BIOS info.)
Graphics card, I'm not sure right now.

Before the update: Computer would not boot up normally. Something with the resolution would make the computer not work properly. In Safe mode, it would boot up in 1280×1024. In Safe mode -VGA enabled, the computer would boot up in the lowest resolution possible and any modifications would cause the screen to blank out. (As if the screen could not handle the resolution set up.) I tried updating my video card drivers, but that didn't resolve my problem.

I just updated the BIOS on another computer of mines using the third option here. [Express BIOS Update [SN94510J.86A.0096.EB.EXE]
http://downloadcente...amp;PrdMap=2158

After the update: BIOS settings say that my version is "SN94510J.86A.0108.2008.0817.1811". Boots up normally past the basic graphics driver info and Intel splash screen. Then when it gets to the point where it asks me to choose my operation system, after choosing which OS to boot up, the screen freezes at the options and boots no further. Before this, in normal boot, I was able to get past the Windows loading splash before getting a blank screen, and I used to be able to boot into safe mode.

Anyone know what's up?

Edited by Tensaei, 11 October 2009 - 07:42 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

How many computers are we talking about here? Your post is ambiguous.

If you have two computers, please address one at a time so no confusion arises. Why are you updating bios?

Tensaei

Tensaei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry.

I am addressing one, my first post is just concerning one computer.

I was updating my BIOS in hopes of fixing a my screen problem my computer was having. (In first post.)

Something with the resolution would make the computer not work properly. In Safe mode, it would boot up in 1280×1024. In Safe mode -VGA enabled, the computer would boot up in the lowest resolution possible and any modifications would cause the screen to blank out. (As if the screen could not handle the resolution set up.) I tried updating my video card drivers, but that didn't resolve my problem.

Expanding from this, I'll try to explain my dilemma before the BIOS update.
I assumed the problem was with the graphics card or the computer screen. Changing computer screens did not help. Changing graphics cards did not help. So I tried to update the BIOS, and that has led me here.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
So is the problem the resolution of the screen in Normal mode or Safe mode?

In Normal mode, Windows will use the driver for the video card that’s installed. In Safe mode Windows will use the standard Windows video driver which will result in the video resolution being what you saw… this is normal.

Tensaei

Tensaei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The original problem was that when you booted into normal mode, the screen would shut off as if the screen could not support the resolution that was set. (Rather than going to the RGB test mode when your screen is unconnected to the computer, it just goes black.) In VGA safe mode, any sort of resolution change would cause the screen to go black.

Problem now after the BIOS update; the computer will not boot past the "Choose your OS". It just hangs at the BOOT OS screen and that's it.

Tensaei

Tensaei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Anyone?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like the flash didn't complete properly, any chance you could re-flash it again?