Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Overheating Problem

• Please log in to reply

zumata

zumata

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi

Have HP Pavillion dv2000 running Vista Home Premium.

System always ran hot, but seems extremely hot now. System was running slow, so I went through standard Geekstogo Virus and Spyware removal. After I ran RootRepeal as sole administor user, system went into a continuous loop of restarting Windows Explorer. In attempting to resolve the problem, we ran several tests. ComboFix ran twice for about 1 1/2 hours each time and system shut down. We thought it might be malware, but I am thinking now that it could be overheating. I attempted a Memory Check in Safe Mode, which says it does 2 passes. Twice, system got about 35% through first pass and shut down.

History is at:

http://www.geekstogo...it-t254772.html

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to determine whether I am having an overheating problem? The system appears to stop at the same point each time. Virus/Malware check seems clean but not sure how far it went because of aborts.

If problem is overheating, is there anything I can do to alleviate the problem?

Thx

Zumata

Advertisements

zumata

zumata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi all

Old wrinkle revisited.

Did a system restore as far back as I could go. Strangely, nothing there prior to 10/5.

Still have the Windows Explorer crashes. An error message also came up that I forgot about. Said instruction at 0x026a4a3c cannot be performed at memory location 0x060e1000.

Any idea what this is?

Thx.
Zumata

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all it's better to run the memory completely outside of windows enviroment.
This keeps un-needed resources trying to use the memory while you are testing.
Please do the following and let us know the results.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours:
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

If you have more then one stick of memory it would be advisable to run the test on both sticks and then run it on each stick by itself. If there is a problem with the memory then this will determine if it is both or just one stick. This will take time so please be patient.

zumata

zumata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Rshaffer61
Thanks for responding.
Followed instructions. Tried 3 times to test memory. Each time, system shut off within 20 minutes or so.
BTW, memtest86 now at v4.00.
Awaiting your next instruction.
Zumata

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a overheating or a power issue.
Being a laptop I assume have you tried a different plug and try running it off the battery?
Same results?
If overheating I suggest taking it to a repair shop and have them look inside to make sure fan is working.
Check the vents to make sure they are clear of any dust or debris.

zumata

zumata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi
Dropped it off at shop. Will get it back in a couple of days.
Zumata

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK please let us know what they found out. We like to know good or bad how we did with our advise.
I hope it isn't anything serious. :)

zumata

zumata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Rshaffer61
Looks like laptop had a giant furball growing inside. All clean now. Running ok.
U saved me a lot of headache. Thx.
Zumata.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)