Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
hello,

i have a hp slimline s3012n,It has 512mb ram that is maxed out and i would like to upgrade the ram. it has athlon 64 64 processor and nvidia GEForce 6150 LE graphics card. I dont do alot of gaming but i do watch alot of movies and listen to music. the movies have been a little jumpy lately and the music tends to stop and start while listening to it. Could this be caused by having no ram left? when i checked it said i had 1mb of ram left. if this is the culprit what memory upgrade do you recommend to be the best dollar for dollar?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i uploaded the report but i dont know how to do a screen shot and post it. i know its probably pretty easy but im still learning the xp layout

Attached Files

Edited by prdfatherof2, 12 October 2009 - 08:43 PM.

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
the temps read: pcu- 40c
samsung2504c- 44c

it did not display any voltages

and yes i would like some help with picking some ram. i dont need the most expensive just want some for a decent price that will be compatible

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The report shows 448 megs of memory.
I would suggest taking that to 1 gig and that should help your movies play better. I would also like to look at what you have running in the background. This will slow your system down if there are alot of Autoruns going.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
wow! didnt realize there was so much running in the background. Let me know if there is anything i can get rid of.

Attached Files

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have some memory that i found, a friend just gave to me but i dont know if its good or not. i heard of memory goin bad before. its corsair pro series xtreme energy, 1024mb, 400mhz, CL2. Is this compatible with my sytem? and if so is there a way of telling if its good or not without installing it? it also has xms3200 on it, dont know if it means anything in particular.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you use the Crucial online scanner it will tell you exactly what types of memory are compatible.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "Windows Defender" You have Avast.. not good to run more then one AV because they will conflict and cause false positive readings
+ "DesktopVideoPlayer.LNK"
+ "RegistryMechanic" Not advisable as registry fixs can cause more problems then they fix
+ "swg"

When done restart computer and then:

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Ehrn all steps are completed please let me know if startup time has gotten better and how the system overall is now running

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for all your help. the startup is much faster now, and programs are opening and closing a little faster. i think that problem will go away when i upgrade the memory. Again thanks for all your help.

Anthony

P.S. does that crucial online scan work on xp too? my mother wants to try it on her pc

Edited by prdfatherof2, 13 October 2009 - 09:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it does work on XP.
Please let us know how everything turns out and if you need assistance in finding the memory it suggest(if you don't buy it from crucial) then feel free to post here and we will try to find you pricing for it.

Advertisements

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i do have one quetion about swapping the memory. is it a good idea to backup my files or will it even affect any of my saved programs. also they recommended 2gb, do u think that would be overkill on my pc? Im thinking 1gb should be fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Changing memory should not affect your data files.
As far as the memory I would have to know what you really use the system for the majority of the time.
If you are not a gamer or watch videos or movies a lot then 2 gigs would be a overkill.
If you do office and internet I would think 1 gig would be enough.
A good rule of thumb to follow is to always backup important data at least once a week depending on what you have.
Again the rules above would determine that.

Just as FYI below is the directions for backup suggestions.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

prdfatherof2

prdfatherof2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i added 1gb memory and its much much faster! thanks for all your help. i do have another question though. it now shows 1405mb physical memory, cached 730mb, free 19mb. i left the old memory (512mb) in the computer, could that be where my memory has gone?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where are you getting the information from?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I think he is getting that from task manager.
He should be reporting 1024 + 448 = 1072mb in system properties. Go to start...right click my computer and choose properties.
His original memory was a 512 showing 448mb. That means he is using 64mb for the on board video.