Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect e-mail to domain name

• Please log in to reply

Rontiara

Rontiara

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I own a domain named rontiara.com. I would like to have an e-mail address that reads [email protected], but I don't know how to set that up. I'm using the free web page that comes with my ISP, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't support this function.

Is there some way to set up e-mail forwarding or whatever it's called?

Or is this considered an "alias?" I may be using the wrong terminology.

I know it's possible to do it through a commercial web host like godaddy.com, but I was hoping to bypass that.

Thanks very much for your help.

Rontiara

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you contacted your ISP that provides the webhosting? typically they also supply email addresses with any hosting package...generally it's [email protected] though.....but it's possible that for an extra fee they would give you your own address space

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I know CableOne.com doesn't. They supply me with an email address just as the " Ruler of Omicron Persei 8" said. They also provide me with storage space for a free web site should I want one.

Your best bet is to find a good paid hosting (NOT GoDaddy) and set up your email address there. In fact, you can have more than one, each with its own password if you like. Then you'll also have web mail, Control Panel and lots of goodies.

VinnyTAMU

VinnyTAMU

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Who is the domain name registered through? I know that my domain name registrar (www.namecheap.com) allows for email forwarding, you might ask your domain name registrar regarding this.

Another alternative would be to look into what is called an MX record. This is a little complicated to explain, but you could talk with your registrar about setting this up.

Rontiara

Rontiara

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to all of you for your help!

Since this is a free website provided by my ISP, the only e-mail address I'm allowed to use is my "official" one for that ISP.

As I suspected, what I want to do is not possible (or more work than it's worth). I'll have to go for paid hosting if I want that feature.

Ah, well, it was worth a try.

I certainly appreciate your advice!

Rontiara