Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A uninstaling question

• Please log in to reply

GeekL

GeekL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

I read this text, and I don't understand some part of it, so if someone could please explain.

1)
Next, I would use a program like autoruns, or some other program to manage startup entries and look for entries related to the program you're about to uninstall. If it has auto-run or auto-start entries simply deleting the program files will result in errors the next time you start up.

- ??... explanation please... and what are startup entries?

2)
Once those are gone, if there are icons in the system tray related to this software, right click on them to see if they have an "exit" option. If you see any other programs currently running that relate to what you're about to delete, exit those.

- also.... ???

3)
I then would next use process explorer and look at processes that are running that may be related to the software you're about to remove. Not everything that's running appears on screen, so there may still be processes that you need to terminate or exit in some other way.

Please don't remove this topic, I need an answer

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello GeekL.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

Before continuing can you explain what you want to accomplish and if any issues you have?
This will help in assisting you and we can walk through the steps then to better help you.

GeekL

GeekL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well.... I'm trying to understand what does it say. Just to understand, I don't have a problem with uninstaling a program...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1)
Next, I would use a program like autoruns, or some other program to manage startup entries and look for entries related to the program you're about to uninstall. If it has auto-run or auto-start entries simply deleting the program files will result in errors the next time you start up.

- ??... explanation please... and what are startup entries?

These are programs that start automatically when you boot into windows. They run in the background for the most part but use memory and system resources to run. This in turn can causing in some cases major slowdown in the way windows responds.

2)
Once those are gone, if there are icons in the system tray related to this software, right click on them to see if they have an "exit" option. If you see any other programs currently running that relate to what you're about to delete, exit those.

- also.... ???

Here what is being said that you would need to close any icons that are related to the above programs once they have been stopped. Not really needed as if done right most of these will not appear after you restart your system.

3)
I then would next use process explorer and look at processes that are running that may be related to the software you're about to remove. Not everything that's running appears on screen, so there may still be processes that you need to terminate or exit in some other way.

This is a step which can stop un-needed processes like Indexing from running which will also slow your system down. Most of this is needed to run the system correctly but there are a few that can be turned off.

Unless you are experiencing slowdown with your system I would not suggest doing any of this without the help of a Tech who can request logs and advise on what to turn off and what to leave running.
There are some programs which are needed and if turned off can cause instability if not make your system unusable. In a few severe cases they could cause your system to not boot correctly or stop it completely.

GeekL

GeekL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks man!

But still, I've got some fresh questions

for the 1. -

Ok, I install the program. Now it says look for entries related to the program you're about to uninstall. How do I know which are related, and what do I do with them?

2. -

Once those are gone - who? The entries related to the program I want to uninstal? Also, what's a system tray..... relate to what you're about to delete - how do I know which are relate?

3. -

nothing here... only, again - how do I know which are related?

I'm really sorry to bother you, but please help (again). Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
1:)
Autoruns doesn't work that way. The only entries that are important are at the beginning of the report. These are the programs that start automatically.
Just a FYI..autoruns does not uninstall programs it just stops them from loading on startup.

2:)
In regards to what you are asking then yes the entries but again refer to the above. Autoruns does not uninstall but disable.

3:)
Again this will have no bearing on the issue.

If you are wanting to uninstall then you would use the Add and Remove in Control Panel
Also most programs have a Uninstall command that can be used.

This article is not explaining the issue correctly to what you are asking about.
It explains disabling autoruns and not the uninstall of programs that you are referring to.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I apologize because of the misunderstanding I had with the first question in your last post.
I thought you were talking about Autoruns still.
To uninstall files left over by a program can be a very time consuming process.
The best way is to google the file and you will normally see what it is associated with.
If I can suggest a step that may be alittle easier for you.
A program called RevoUninstaller

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.