Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd connection speeds...

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hey guys,

I have five identical computers (Dell Dimension 4600's) WinXP Pro Sp3. However the network adapters are acting funny. I have gone through screen by screen and all are set to identical settings and using identical drivers.

---------------------------
Computer A
In order for it to connect at full speed on the internet, I have to modify the network adapter to run at 10Mbps/Full Duplex instead of Auto or 100Mbps/Full Duplex.

Network adapter set to 10Mbps/Full Duplex Posted Image
Network adapter set to 100Mbps/Full Duplex Posted Image

Computer B,C,D,E
Connects without any problems on it at all. Network adapter is set to Auto Detect and is connecting at 100Mbps/Full Duplex. They can connect to the internet at full speed with no problems.

Network adapter set to 10Mbps/Full Duplex Posted Image
Network adapter set to 100Mbps/Full Duplex Posted Image

Here is a quick diagram of how my machines are setup... Posted Image

Now, I have had these machines set to where they connect to the internet fast (CompA-10mbps / CompB-100mbps), but the problem is I transfer alot of data back and forth between them and because of the 10Mbps bottleneck, transfers either take forever or they timeout/fail. Big problem!

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

VinnyTAMU

VinnyTAMU

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Regarding computer A, have you connected that machine to various different ports on the hub? Have you switched B/C/D/E to computer A's port? Have you swapped network cables between computers?

Edited by VinnyTAMU, 14 October 2009 - 08:34 AM.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried moving cables to different ports, hoping I had a port fail on me.. No luck. I just moved Comp A to Comp B's normal location and still get the same type of speeds on speedtest. I also tried putting Comp A on a port on the hub that was unused. Same result.

Any ideas?

VinnyTAMU

VinnyTAMU

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Can you replace the NIC in Comp A with a spare NIC? If you are using the onboard NIC you could add a PCI or PCI-e NIC.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
These NIC's are onboard. I don't have a spare PCI NIC available. I'll try to scrounge one up and try it.. I gotta open them all up soon anyway, I just bought some additional RAM for all of them.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Ok... this is interesting. I put in a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. This NIC is showing the same issues as the internal. Sounds like something in Windows.

What kind of information can I provide that will help ID this problem. It's very frustrating!!

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Update:

I'm posting in malware forum to make sure this isn't a side effect of an odd infection. Will post back when I get a clean bill of health. Thanks.