Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop ups galore! Help me!

• Please log in to reply

reuben191

reuben191

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I need some help. I am pretty computer savy, but my laptop is pop up heaven lately.

I am running norton antivirus 2005, The microsoft antispyware beta and Spybot. Nothing is working.

Any suggestion or help please, I am ready to reformat my drive!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

Edited by reuben191, 15 May 2005 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Make sure you have disabled The Messenger Service. This is not Microsofts Instant Messenger, but a service created for communication over a network. Disabling this service will probably help you out.

Norton Antivirus isn't going to help you with pop ups so you can forget that. Norton Internet Security, on the other hand, is a very useful tool in my opinion. One of it's many features is disabling pop ups.

Make sure you run your Spybot program to search for any adware programs that may be running on your system. You'll obviously need to get rid of those.

You might also try a new browser, such as FireFox, that incorporates a pop-up blocker.

I can't comment on the Microsoft antispyware program because I don't use it and don't know of anyone who does.

You might also try running the MSCONFIG (Microsoft Configurator) command from "Start", "Run". In the window, click the startup tab and uncheck the programs you think may be plaguing you with these pop ups. When you reboot, the message will let you know that you've chosen "Selective Startup" for your PC. Just click OK and see if that takes care of your problem.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

befgbgn

befgbgn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi there!!

I use a popup blocker call 12 ghosts popup-killer....it works great for me. You can find the download at tucows.com. Its a free popup killer.
Deb