Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

thebiguglyone

thebiguglyone

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, wondering if anyone can help with this.

Computer will not start- XP logo shows then it just restarts.

I have tried booting with automatic restart disabled and get the following blue screen message-

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8A5CE368,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Thanks in advance

thebiguglyone

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello thebiguglyone.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

thebiguglyone

thebiguglyone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, Could you tell me whether I need the XP disc that came with my particular system or whether any XP disc will do the job. The pc's own copy has gone underground, I can't find it anywhere!!

Cheers
thebiguglyone

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as the Xp is the same type as you have installed on your system..IE:Home or Pro
Also is this a name brand system and if so what make and model?

thebiguglyone

thebiguglyone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The computer is a HP Pavilion with XP media centre edition on it. The other disc I have has XP home, after checking that disc out I found it was the recovery disc for my old Elonex laptop that states it will only run on Elonex machines. If I could find the correct version do you think it would work with the pavilion?

Thanks for your time

thebiguglyone.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to obtain the recovery disk for the HP.
Contact HP and you can purchase them for a minimal amount and they would be good to have for the future also.
You can try it with another XP but I can't guarantee the test will run. preferrably a Genuine XP disk.

thebiguglyone

thebiguglyone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My apologies for the delay in responding but my daughter has been in hospital.

Whilst I was away my sister paid someone to come round and sort the computer out so you may close this thread now.

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me out, it was appreciated. :)

Thebiguglyone

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm glad you got the system corrected but even more I hope your Daughter is ok.
If you can could you share what the issue was and how it was eventually corrected?
It may help someone down the line with the same problem.