Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connectivity problems (more than basic)

• Please log in to reply

krackan

krackan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I'm going to explain my problem from the get go to provide as much information as possible. My wireless has always worked fine, then in class today I had a prof talking about a MSN Sniffer program while discussing internet security issues. For fun I installed the program and ran it, haha I can see your msn, fun over with. So I uninstalled it by the end of class. The program was NGS MSN Sniffer, it came attached with winPcap, a cache collecting program. I'm pretty sure this is where the problem is sourced from. I should have been smarter than to install a software from a sketchy site clearly designed for malignant purposes I know, but I figured if my prof mentioned it, that somehow made it better.

After removing it I got home and my wireless internet no longer worked, coming up with the error message "can not renew your IP".
So I went into network connections and switched the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to Alternate Configuration/User configured and manually use the IP 192.168.0.2. This made the internet connect and show full connectivity, but still when I actually brought up the browser nothing came up.

When I ran the repair again on the wireless it slowed down again at renewing IP, and then came up with the error message "following action cannot be completed: Clearing the ARP cache".

So from the I manually ran the cmd 'netsh interface ip delete arpcache' to manually clear the arp cache, but it has had no apparent effect, and the same message comes up when I run the repair (cannot clear arp cache).

Does anyone have any idea about what the next step I can take to resolve this issue is? Will I have to uninstall and re-install my wireless drivers? (don't have any of the disks).

Oh and before anything else I tried a system restore to no avail. Help me please!

Krackan

Edited by krackan, 15 October 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Advertisements

krackan

krackan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Disregard my post, I worked it out. Thanks though.

BlueEyedSamurai

BlueEyedSamurai

• Pip
  • 7 posts
How about posting what you did to fix this so others can learn too. :)