Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes often after turned on.

• Please log in to reply

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi.

I'm running WINXP SP2 and recently, my computer just freezes here and there.

Sometimes when I turn it on, it'll just freezes right the way. Some other times, it would be running smoothly for a little while, then it freezes and I had to hit the restart button on the CPU to get it restart because I Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work. But sometimes it just doesn't freeze.

My computer doesn't have viruses or spywares. I know this because I just re-installed a new fresh windows XP SP2.

Please help. Thanks.

*EDIT:
So here's a full story about this issue that I have so far: The freezing started like 3 weeks ago. I thought the problem was the hard drive so I went and bought a new 320GB Western Digital Internal hard drive and re-installed a new XP using a full version CD. But then that didn't work and the freezing still happens. So I tried to replace the old memory (512MB) with the new memory (1GB) but that didn't work either. I think the problem is either the motherboard or the power supply. But like I'd mentioned, sometimes when the computer's turned on, it just freezes right at the moment when I logged on my windows account.

Edited by overclick.cn, 17 October 2009 - 01:28 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello overclick.cn.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

What make and model is your system? IE: Packard Bell, Dell, HP, Compaq
Laptop or desktop
Memory total
Did you format and reinstall XP
Recovery disk or Full version?

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi.

It's a Cisnet desktop computer.

The total memory is 1GB.

I re-installed a new XP using a Full version CD, not a recovery disk.

So here's a full story about this issue that I have so far: The freezing started like 3 weeks ago. I thought the problem was the hard drive so I went and bought a new 320GB Western Digital Internal hard drive and re-installed a new XP using a full version CD. But then that didn't work and the freezing still happens. So I tried to replace the old memory (512MB) with the new memory (1GB) but that didn't work either. I think the problem is either the motherboard or the power supply. But like I'd mentioned, sometimes when the computer's turned on, it just freezes right at the moment when I logged on my windows account.

Please help. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the system?
Since the problem was happening before the replacement HD and memory then we can take those out of the equation for the moment.

Did the system come preloaded with the OS?
Was the OS you loaded the same version as what was on the system?
Was it a original genuine disk or a burned copy?

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi. I'm so sorry for this belated reply. I've been very busy with school and I know you're busy too so thanks for helping me out.

It's a 3 years old desktop computer and it came with a loaded OS which was XP Home Edition. I installed a new windows XP SP2 on the new hard drive that I installed and the disk was a burned copy.

Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the OS that was on the original HD was a burned copy?
IS it Home Edition also just a newer SP?
What key did you use to activate it?
There should be a key on the side of the system.

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the desktop computer came with a genuine version of XP Home Edition. I removed the hard drive that came with the desktop and replaced it with a new hard drive and installed a new XP SP2 which was a burnt copy.

But I don't think that's the problem since the computer still freezes regardless of whether the windows is genuine or not. Hard drives are definitely not a problem either since the computer still freezes after the new drive installation.

Maybe the motherboard is acting up ~ I don't know...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you supply the following information
PSU make and model
  • wattage
  • amps on 12 volt rails

Motherboard make and model