Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on how to wipe the drive ,reformatting and clean install

• Please log in to reply

G.Neko

G.Neko

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Some of my programs not working because virus have damage it and cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. So, i decided to do on wiping the drive ,reformatting and performing a clean install of the OS. The problem is that i dont know how to do it.
I need help to guide me through this steps. Please explain as simple as possible because im slow to understand.

Thanks.

p/s: i dont have the CD recovery because acer laptop doesnt provide it. i did create a recovery disks.& also dont have CD vista installation.

Edited by G.Neko, 15 October 2009 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Welcome G,Neko to GTG.

First of all what virus do you have?
Second who told you it can't be clean?
Third I see you have not tried to go through GTG Malware Forum to help rid your system of the virus.
Fourth since no recovery disk the recovery partition should still be on the hard drive.

Is it programs that are not working correctly or the Vista that is not working?

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
1.It was infected by PE_VIRUX.J

2.No one. google search ^^"

3. I scan using Trend micro - detected the virus and i delete the virus from the quarantine section. did a second scan with malwarebytes anti-virus, didn't detected any virus. so, im not sure whether have virus or not because 4 programs have stopped working. so, decided to recovery for the programs.

4.yup, i did the recovery disk.

5. Vista is working fine. Program which is not working are:
- Acer Empowering Technology Framework
- Catalyst control center: Monitoring
- Acer ePower Management DMC
- Daemon Tool

Edited by G.Neko, 15 October 2009 - 06:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me get a Malware Tech to look at this and let you know if this is repairable. I apologize but a format is the last step we want to advise anyone to do.

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks. Ill wait for the reply then ^^

Edited by G.Neko, 15 October 2009 - 06:11 PM.

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Expert
  • 13,659 posts
I'm afraid I have bad news for you.

You have been infected with a polymorphic file infector named Virut. This infection will spread to every executable file in your computer, and unfortunately the only cure for it is to Reformat and Reinstall.

Right now, the best thing you can do is to backup, preferably to CD, all your important data, documents, pictures, movies, and songs.

DO NOT backup any applications or installers and DO NOT backup any files with the following extensions:
  • .exe
  • .scr
  • .htm
  • .html
  • .xml
  • .zip
  • .rar
For more information on Virut, and why you need to reformat, have a read of miekiemoes blog here.

To find out how to carry out an XP Reformat and Reinstall, please see this page. If you are using Vista, then check this page instead.

Once you have reformatted and reinstalled Windows, have a look at this page for some useful tips on staying clean, along with links to some freeware to help.

To find out more information about how you may have got infected in the first place, you can read this article.

I am sorry I cannot give any better news.

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It ok because im aware that my laptop is infected with virut.

so, i can format and reinstalling using my recovery cd (from the recovery partition), since this laptop didnt come with the CD/DVD recovery?

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Expert
  • 13,659 posts
The infection could have spread to your recovery partition. Best to at least give it a thorough scan to make sure it's not detected. But, I would be wary about touching anything like that. If it was stuck in your recovery partition as well, it would reinfect your new installation, and you would need to do it again.

It's a nasty little bugger. :)

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I created the recovery disk when i first bought this laptop. so its OK right?

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Ah, in that case, yes. :)

I'm not too familiar on how exactly to go about that type of restore, so I'll return you back to rshaffer61 if you need assistance with that. :)

Advertisements

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks! ^^

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thank you again handhfan and since you have the recovery disk GNeko then the next bit of advice I can give you is before installation make sure you blow away the partition and then repartition the drive.
Then format that partition.
Now you are ready to reinstall. This is very important that you do each of the steps to guarantee that the virus is no longer present anywhere on the drive.
I will tell you that Virut is the exact cause of me coming to GTG back in February.
I had to format my system also so I can understand what you are now going through.
Please let me know if I can assist you during all this. I am here till the end and offer all the assistance I can give. :) :) :)

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Curse the Virut :) - lol

how do i blow away the partition and the repartition of the drive? and also reformat the partition?

Edited by G.Neko, 15 October 2009 - 07:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you do the recovery it should ask if you want to unpartition and then setup the partition.
Below I will add the steps. They may not be exactly what you see but they should be close.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

G.Neko

G.Neko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i did step 1, 2 & 3. Step 4 where i have to press F12. There are 3 option on Boot Manager:
1. IDE 0: ST9160821As -160.0GB
2. IDE 1: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A - ATAPI
3. network Boot: MBA v9.4.5 Slot 0500

Which boot option should i choose?