Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive will not read discs (and makes noises)

• Please log in to reply

marcas20

marcas20

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have a sony vaio vgn-cs220D and i've only had it for a couple of months. My cd/dvd drive has stopped reading any discs. It just happened recently as I was listening to an audio cd, the player froze and windows media player closed. After that I tried to play the disc again but no luck. So i tried restarting my computer to see if if anything would change, but now when i place any disc into the drive it'll make noises(as if it is trying to scan the disc) and then will stop without reading the disc. I've checked my device manager to see if there was a yellow sign with by the driver, but apparently all is working well. I've also tried to access the cd by right clicking the drive in 'my computer' and clicking explore, a white window appears but then closes right away. I've never had this happen to me before and really dont know what procedure to undergo if this problem can be resolved without having to buy a new laptop :S..

Im running on windows vista as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by marcas20, 16 October 2009 - 03:57 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello marcas20.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

I take it you bought this system brand new since you said you have had it only a couple of months. That being the case it is still under warranty and you should have Sony or the Retailer repair the problem.
We cannot advise you to do anything that would possibly void your warranty.

Diarmaid

Diarmaid

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm... I'm no techie (yet) but I have realized that many drivers on my computers say that they're fine but they actually have corrupted files in them. Try re-installing the drivers from the company's website. If that doesn't work, it's most likely a hardware problem. Can the computer detect that it is there?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Try re-installing the drivers from the company's website

Optical drives don't need any extra drivers.

Those reading noises would indicate, that the drive is most likely dying.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree Broni. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I agree with rshaffer61 :)

Broni

Broni