Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with CSRSS.EXE

• Please log in to reply

cbjones560

cbjones560

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Greetings,
My computer is having an issue where the Client Server Runtime Process will suddenly take over and start running at times at 50% CPU access and slowing everything to a crawl. Also, Outlook just freezes and hangs to where I have to kill the process to regain control of the laptop, and sometimes even that does not work as then all other processes freeze and hang, thus resulting in my having to shutdown by holding the power key on the laptop as no other method of shutdown will work.

I have run the typical cleaners like Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, ComboFix, ATF Cleaner, CleanUp!, and the problem goes away, but only temporarily. So I need some guidance on next steps.

I have installed from a previous problem Process Explorer, Everest Home Edition, QuickStartUp, What's Running, SIW.exe, etc.

I was running Comodo Internet Suite until about 30 days ago when this problem first started. On Sept 15, I uninstalled Comodo and installed Avast v4.8 Home Edition and PC Tools Firewall Plus 6.0.0.74.

:) :)

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello cbjones560.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

I'm assuming, you're posting from another working XP computer....

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of csrss.exe to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (assuming, you're using working XP computer), and select csrss.exe
* Then click Open to add csrss.exe to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy csrss.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

cbjones560

cbjones560

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
For whatever reason, the first time I tried to burn the CD (from another working XP machine), it started and then failed and now each time I try to burn it, I get an error message saying that no driver is found. So my question is does it have to burn to a CD or could I instead burn it to a flash drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should be able to burn to a flash drive as long as you can access the drive from the boot menu.

cbjones560

cbjones560

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, I have successfully completed that task. System seems to be running better, but this is what has happened each time in the past and then it acts up again in a few hours.

Also, just as FYI, I will post a few logs of other scans I have since run so that you can look and see if there is anything else going on. Thank you again for all of your assistance, guidance and direction.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear but the logs you posted are not used in this forum.
They are for the Malware Forum only. If you believe there be some type of infection that is creating this issue then:

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

cbjones560

cbjones560

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you and will do!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and good luck. :) :) :)