Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus, Hijacker, (what else?)

• Please log in to reply

andycunningham

andycunningham

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I think I picked up a virus. Since October 14, 2009, my Symantec Endpoint Antivirus Protection and Proactive Protection is turned off and cannot be turned back on. Task Manager is turned off. All system restore points are gone.

I tried to run Spybot but I am not able, nor can I run Adaware. I am using Windows XP SP3. I need to get this fixed.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

andycunningham

andycunningham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Followed instructions and all went well until running Malwarebytes. When I clicked "scans" - the program closed. When I tried to reopen it a box popped up saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Please advise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start a new topic in the Malware forum and put in the description line of your topic that you can not run the Malwarebytes scan.
Then describe exactly what you just posted here(copy and paste if needed)
This will give the Malware Tech a starting point. If other programs ran fine then it seems like the issue is no virus program can run if I am reading this correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

First of all, thanks for your prompt reply to my original post.

I read the earlier caveate regarding being patient, however, could you give me an idea of the normal turn-around time for forum postings? I noticed that my post has been viewed more than a dozen times but without response. Could it likely take into the weekend to get a first reply?

I realize that everyone is a volunteer and I appreciate the use of this site's resources. I was just wondering.

Thanks.

The response time in that forum depends on how busy they are. If the response does not come in 3 days then please post in the Waiting Room Forum with a link to your malware topic. This will get you a response then. Sometimes it can take a couple of minutes to as much as 3 days to get to your request.
I understand the need to get your issue resolved and everyone here does also. Most techs in malware handle several topics at one time so they want to finish one before adding another. Also you may see alot of views because different techs specialize in different types of infections and they will look at your topic hoping that the one with the best qualifications and can pickup your topic will become free.