Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

False Virus Program/ VRT2.tmp Can only boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

x45pen

x45pen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Tank You for any help you may be able to provide.

Right now I am using a second computer to post this.

I would post a Hijack This Log if I could but I can only boot into safe mode right now and it won’t run in safe mode. I don’t know if it’s the program or because of the virus.

I am running Windows XP SP 1 (Yes I know I should have SP2 but it gave me problems in the past so I stayed on SP1)

Alright here's what happened I was infected with some kind of false anti virus program that poped up in the task bar and poped up messages. I ended it’s process and ran Malwarebytes which removed several files then restarted. This is when things got bad. After about a minute of loading up to the desktop the computer would crash and restart. No blue screen no error message. So I tried a couple of times to suspend the process that I thought was casing the problem using process explorer but windows would still crash. Now something I noticed was right before the computer would crash when booted up normally is there would be several processes started called DWWIN. In safe mode I searched for this file and found several one of which that was modified at the exact time when I noticed the computer was infected. This file was located in C:\Windows\Prefetch. Another process that showed up was VRT2.tmp I also searched for this but could not find it. I have ran crapcleaner to get rid of temp files but still I am stuck with only being able to boot into safe mode.

I’m wondering what I should do next.

Advertisements