Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Stuff Question

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello,
I'm trying to connect 2 PCs with crossover cable that I purchased over from the net. One pc is Windows XP and another one is Windows Vista. When I connected the cable from one pc to another pc, the connection says "limited connectivity".
Why is that happening? Does that happen too if I connect my windows xp pc to another xp pc?

The purpose of this is that I'd like to ping the other pc using crossover cable.

Edited by Axelion, 17 October 2009 - 11:48 PM.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :) Have you tried setting static IP addresses on both computers?

Try something like this:

Computer 1: IP Address: 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Computer 2: IP Address: 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks a lot it works!! But I also need to disable the firewall to be able to ping the other pc.

I have another question.
Can you explain this in easy way, what's the difference of Router and Switch?
Is router the same as modem?
I have a hard time to digest this stuff.

Edited by Axelion, 17 October 2009 - 11:49 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
If you really want to learn all this stuff you should find yourself a good networking book. The best I've seen are those that are geared towards teaching people the concepts necessary to pass Comptia's Network+ test. Just do a search for Network+ in amazon to see a long list of books.

To answer your question, switches are used to connect computers locally to eachother, using MAC addresses to determine where a packet came from and where it's going.

Routers on the other hand use IP addresses to determine what "Network" to forward packets to so that they are then passed on to where they need to go.

More simply: routers are used to connect networks to eachother, and switches are used to connect computer to eachother. A router "reroutes" packets depending on where they have to go and a switch performs the same function that telephone operators in older times did when they had to physically plug connections into the right holes to connect people (computers) to eachother.

This gets confusing for most people because they think they do not use a switch at home. Most small office/home office routers have switches built into them (The several ports on the back of the router).

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I forgot to ask this but am I supposed to be able to transfer file from pc to pc with crossover cable?
The ping works but it doesn't show up on "My Network Place".

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Geeks to Go exists to provide free help for computer-related issues. This does not extend, however, to providing help with homework of any kind. In addition, we do not provide help via PM. Please do not PM our staff members and request help with assignments. This topic is now closed.