Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with RAM

• Please log in to reply

eradic8

eradic8

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've had a problem ever since I got my computer, everytime I run a diagnostic report with Norton 360 it says my RAM is low, I know this should not be the case as I have 2 Gig of Ram and very few programs running. Both sticks of memory are showing as present in the slots, so I am wondering if I have faulty memory or a driver issue. I would be grateful for any expert help and advice that would help me solve this issue.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Do not start doubting your hardware until you get a second (or third) opinion. What does it say when you right click on My Computer? What does CPUz say? Are you having performance issues?

And are sure it says specifically, "RAM"? And not some other kind of memory? If free disk space is running low, or your Page File is not configured right, that could cause a low memory condition.

eradic8

eradic8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Do not start doubting your hardware until you get a second (or third) opinion. What does it say when you right click on My Computer? What does CPUz say? Are you having performance issues?

And are sure it says specifically, "RAM"? And not some other kind of memory? If free disk space is running low, or your Page File is not configured right, that could cause a low memory condition.

My computer???? I don't use XP I use vista, and yes I'm sure it specifically say "RAM"

I checked in system information/accessories/system tools/system informaion/
and it says physical memory: 2.00Gb
Total physical memory 1.75Gb
Available physical memory 888Mb
Total virtual memory 3.74Gb
Available virtual memory 2.65Gb
Page file space 2.04Gb

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong looking at that, as far as I can see, but norton 360 reports ram is low, I wouldn't exactly call 888Mb low.
Could it be that Norton is reporting incorrectly, or could it be a driver issue that is causing Norton to report this. I'm not sure why it is but it's bugging me.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My computer????

Yeah, sorry - force of habit. Perhaps I might have caught that if I didn't have to guess what you were using.

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong looking at that, as far as I can see, but norton 360 reports ram is low, I wouldn't exactly call 888Mb low.

It's not low at all.

Could it be that Norton is reporting incorrectly, or could it be a driver issue that is causing Norton to report this.

I would suspect Norton before I would a driver. If a driver, I would think you would see other signs or symptoms, unless it is something Norton specific, in which case it's still a Norton problem.

Contrary to what Symantec would tell you, Norton products do not have a good reputation among many users. They are typically top rated on preventing infections, but the cost in performance and other annoyances tends to overshadow that for many. If you really like Symantec/Norton, I hear NIS 2010 is their effort to make things right.

I'm not sure why it is but it's bugging me.

It would me too, so you are wise to check it out. There are many programs that tell you this - CCleaner, Task Manager, Process Explorer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Norton is also notorious for being a system resource hog.
I'm not sure what Nortons product you are using but there are free programs which do as good and in most cases better of a job.