Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download any media

• Please log in to reply

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Guys:

Chris will be picking up his PC sometimes this morning, so I will get as much done as possible before than.

And what we dont accomplish oh well.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a pretty good sign of what the problem is mainly. If the hard drive starting to fail then programs and files will become corrupted.
We can run a hard drive diagnostics if you like. I'm sure what it is going to say but just so Christopher can see it I am going to include the instructions on how to do it.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. Maxtor in your case.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

rshaffer, I don't understand, how can I do any Bootable CD or DVD's because of the lack of those Devices???

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
For your information....
To use Ultimate Zip all you have to do is right click the file you want to unzip and you will be presented with a "drop down context menu".
In that menu will be "extract to" or "extract to xxxx" where xxx is the name of the file.

You do not even need the program open.
Also the default install is in C:\program files\UltimateZip\uzip.exe
It will show up under start.....All Programs....UltimateZip

It has an uninstall located in the program group AND in the add/remove programs area in control panel.

The problem could very well be corruption in the program due to the hard drive failing.

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Runner:

Thank you for the informtion. It's good to know in case I ever use Ultimate Zip in the future.

It seems to be gone off the system now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry I was falling asleep on my last post so I apologize for the lack of sense in it.

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
:)

Sorry I was falling asleep on my last post so I apologize for the lack of sense in it.

Your not going to believe this, but after I hit the REPLY button, that very thought came to mind. rshaffer must be sleep typing, is what I thought ... and after I read that, I went to BED. :)

Edited by ChristopherLP, 30 November 2009 - 10:33 AM.

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm unhooking Chris' PC now .... logging off

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Advertisements

ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Dear Admin.

I'm sorry for the 3 identical posts, but this morning the Post button wasn't working and I didnt know that, so what I thought I was doing was, stopping the action because it was taking too long to post and refreshing, but instead, I got what you see.

Again, sorry

simplee55

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem Simplee55. It happens and if the admin or mods want to clean it up they will. Not a big problem but it is nice to see someone explain the reason with such dignity.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

diabillic I'm not sure what switching the drive to a different ribbon will accomplish besides making the system unbootable.
That will not uninstall a program that has embedded itself.

The DVD drive...