Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

MCAS32

MCAS32

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I hope that someone can help me.

I have just tried to print a very important document, that I have just finished editing. It just froze when the green loading dots reached halfway across the bar at the bottom of the screen. Now it says 'Not responding'. Is there any way that I can retrieve my document without losing my editing?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards

MCAS32

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The default for auto recovery is 10 minutes, you can change this by pressing tools in Word then options then save and adjust to anywhere from a minute upward.

You may as well close it as once not responding comes out to play, that's the only option.

You will have lost the last 10 minutes, when you open Word it should offer to open the document, save it when opened and see what is missing. You would be unlucky to have lost all the editing, in fact it shouldn't be possible to lose anything inside the scope of auto recovery.

Set auto recovery to 1 minute and you are virtually fireproof, even if the system crashes.

Edited by Keith, 15 May 2005 - 03:09 PM.

MCAS32

MCAS32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for your invaluable advice.

I have now adjusted the auto recovery to one minute from the default 10 minutes.