Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with wireless using Vista

• Please log in to reply

allysat

allysat

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I'd appreciate your assistance once again please.

I didn't know whether to post this in this forum or the Vista one so feel free to move it.

My Father in law is having a problem with his new laptop. He recently purchased a Sony VAIO laptop running on Vista and cannot get it to connect to the broadband wirelessly. The laptop shows that it is connected wirelessly to the router but not to the broadband. It gets this same problem even if he disables security.

He has an Addon wireless router which is connected via lan cable to the desktop and it used to connect wirelessly to a laptop running XP without any issues.

The laptop will connect to the broadband if he connects it to the router via lan cable and when he brought it round to my house he connected to my wireless internet in a couple of seconds.

We have tried a couple of different routers at his house without success.

In the end, he contacted Sony and they took the laptop back and could find no fault and returned it to him in the same state. Sony have suggested there is a fault with the broadband/Vista. He's at the end of his tether and has started talking about putting XP on there.

Router - Addon Wireless Router ADD-GWAR3500.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Advertisements

BlueEyedSamurai

BlueEyedSamurai

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If he is able to connect to the router via cable and to another router via wireless leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with the pc (or Vista).

How far away is the router from the room the laptop is normally in?

Can you do an ipconfig /all from the laptop to the router while connected wired and (attempted) wirelessly.

- Samurai

DXQ

DXQ

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmm, that router supports 802.11b/g.

Is it possible the Sony's wireless is trying to connect using 802.11n ?

Does your wireless router support 802.11n ... maybe that is why it worked with yours.

Try forcing the wireless card to 802.11g.

allysat

allysat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for your replies.

How would he force the wireless card to 802.11g?

allysat

allysat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
bump