Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Log on/Log off loop

• Please log in to reply

vannac

vannac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Having a problem with Windows logging in and then logging off immediately. I read a thread about this elsewhere, but the problem in that thread ended up being due to malware. I know that my problem is not a result of malware.

Background:
I built my own PC. I have 4 harddrives:

1.) Main drive, which I boot my windows XP off of
2.) Data drive that only has data movies/games etc.
3.) Linux drive that has ubuntu installed on it for dual booting
4.) Backup drive which is an exact clone of my main win xp drive from a few months ago

I do have a backup of my system, however, I'd like to avoid the hassle of using a really old backup if possible.

What happened is this, I took apart my PC to clean it and then I put it all back together again. I unplugged the linux drive forgetting that I needed it plugged in so that grubloader could come up and I could select the OS I wanted to boot from (grubloader = OS boot selection menu). So when I booted up initially I got a grubloader error. No problem, plugged the linux drive back in.

Then my system booted to my backup clone drive! Its never done this! I didn't understand why it would do that. So I unplugged both the linux drive and the backup drive and I used "fixmbr" in recovery console to get rid of grubloader all together.

Now I am able to boot into my win xp partition, however when I try to log on, it just logs me off right in the middle of "loading your personal preferences".

Anyone have any non-malware related solutions?

I tried copying userinit.exe and wsaupdater.exe through recovery console, but I only found userinit.exe and this did not work.

Also, I am considering just wiping my log in accounts using a boot disk that I've got. Might this solve the problem? Or would it just complicate things to wipe the accounts?

Advertisements

vannac

vannac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for all your help everyone :) I just decided to use my slightly older backup and eat the losses. I hate messing with my registry.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry that you had to do that but I am glad you got the issue resolved.

devildogg1980

devildogg1980

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello All! I am having some seious issues myself with this. I have followed all of the steps to fix the userinit file but the problem is that the file is there and the path is correct already. Yet, I still can not log on. I have tried the repair CD and that has not worked either. Spysweeper was running when this first happened. Any ideas on how I can get this issue fixed? Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: devildogg1980

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.