Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

zone alarm - basic query

• Please log in to reply

KatieStar

KatieStar

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

I'm really new to looking after my laptop and so apologise if this is a really basic question but...

1) How do I know which zone alarm pop ups to allow or deny?

A friend, who put the programme on my laptop for me, said "deny things unless [I] know what they are" but recently on a few occassions I think that has meant that important things haven't downloaded eg upgrades for my vodafone internet dongle provision. Once I have clicked deny it seems that I cannot get the programmes to then download no matter how many times I click retry.

Any help/info for me?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) As in so many other aspects of modern life, if in doubt, say no.
Somewhere in this program there is the ability (I forget where) to allow programs that you've previously denied and to deny programs you've previously allowed.

KatieStar

KatieStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
But I seem to then not be able to get simple upgrades!!

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
In the bottom right corner of your screen, in the bar you should see a small Z.

Right-Click it, then click "Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center"

On the left side click "Program Control" and under that click "Programs"

and it should give you a list of programs. Simply Left-Click the blue ?'s or the red X's or the green checkmarks and choose whether or not to deny or allow on the programs you want.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If in doubt, too. open the programs that require updates and find (usually under Help) "Find Updates". Click it and see what ZA pops up. Then you can check the ZA box to always remember the decision you made. Cold Titanium has given you the best way to re-set programs asking for Internet access. Just right-click (I think it's right :)) and it will give you several options. Select the one that you feel comfortable with.

KatieStar

KatieStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks....this is helpful, but in my zone alarm control centre, very few things acrually have a green tick, almost everything has a blue ?. What does this atually mean? Should I be wary about changing things to ticks?

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I don't know how helpful I can be as I am as new to computer maintenance as you are...
I am also using Comodo instead of Zone Alarm for a firewall, but they sound similar?
What I do when I want to know if I should allow something: I do a google search on it.
I am becoming familiar with the names of things that run my computer and what they need
to do. If you need to update, try it, then write down the name of the program that your
firewall asks you to allow/disallow. Disallow it at first, then google the program name.
(I realize that one update/action may instigate several firewall queries to google.)
Does it show an association with the update/action that you were attempting to perform?
If so, it's probably a safe one to allow; if not, do more googling until you are sure of
allowing it/disallowing it/asking someone who knows more about it specifically. I don't
know if my way is a good way, or an advisable way of doing it, but it's what I have been
doing since I don't really have much else to go on. I hope that my post either helps you
or it encourages someone who knows more about this to give us both a better way to do it.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
This means ZoneAlarm doesn't know (yet) what to do, I believe.

If you see any programs you want to allow (like your Vodafone updates), simply tick it off so it has a green checkmark.

Maybe this can help too: http://www.zonealarm...cal-support.htm

KatieStar

KatieStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It often asks me about java or prevelance reporter wanting to access the internet trusted zone. I will start looking them up but any info on these two?

K

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
You can allow Java, as it is trying to search for updates.
These updates for Java will correct possible bugs and exploits in the software.

As for the prevalence reporter:

What is Prevalence Reporter?

My firewall warns: "Prevalence Reporter is trying to access the Internet" - what is Prevalence Reporter?

Prevalence Reporter, which has the file name ‘avgcmgr.exe’, is a legitimate part of an application in the anti-virus program AVG 8.0. It lets you know about potentially malicious and dangerous sites on the internet.

Your firewall may bring up a message when you connect to the internet that states: "Prevalence Reporter is trying to access the Internet"

Allowing Prevalence Reporter to run on your PC will mean that your web searches will be accompanied by a green or grey check mark next to them.
A green site is safe, while a grey site could be dangerous. You then need to make a decision about the site you are trying to access – continue to visit it, or take AVG’s advice and leave it alone.

You can place your mouse over the check to open a small box containing information about the search result.

It’s perfectly safe to run Prevalence Reporter, but it won’t harm AVG 8.0 if you don’t.

According to AVG, there are certain processes and URLs that need to be allowed in third party firewalls or software that checks network traffic, such as content filters or parental control, in order for them to work properly.
These include:
avgam.exe
avgcmgr.exe
avgemc.exe
avgiproxy.exe
avgnsx.exe
avgtray.exe
avgui.exe
avgupd.exe
avgwdsvc.exe

Source: http://www.webuser.c...alence-reporter

KatieStar

KatieStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you. This has been very helpful. A bit of light in a confusing world.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*

Thank you. This has been very helpful. A bit of light in a confusing world.

Sure, no problem :) .