Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC FREEZE

• Please log in to reply

Destinyzx

Destinyzx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I have been searching all over the web for a cure for my new PC and I venture upon this forum which appears to have users that share my problem as well. Therefore I hope that you guys would be able to help me.

I just bought my PC around 4 months ago and at first it would freeze up randomly sometimes but I ignore it because I thought it’s just some driver glitch. I reinstalled some of the drivers and it works fine until recently, the frequency of it freezing is going up and the most annoying part is that it freezes even when I was just surfing net and listening to music or almost doing nothing. Now it even freeze at the windows bootup screen. >.<

The definition of freezing here is that the whole screen would just froze on the spot, cursors unable to move and a ‘Derrrrrrrr’ sound can be heard from the speaker. Even ctrl alt delete doesn’t help. Keyboard lit are still on but stuck and mouse LED light would sometime stay on. The only way is to press the restart button and lose all my unsaved work. >.<

Here is the specs of my PC (please take note that this is a custom built computer)

Intel Core 1 Duo E8400 3.0 GHZ Processor w/ 6MB L2 cache
ASUS P5P43TD PRO INTEL P43 DDR3
SEAGATE 320GB 3.5 SATA 16MB
KINGSTON 10600/1333MHZ 2GB DDR3 x 2
XFX GTS (738M) 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E
SAMSUNG SH-S223 22X SATA DVD WRITER
COOLER MASTER CENTURION 5 (CASING)
ANDYSON F550 550W PSU 88%

Solutions I have tried so far:

1) Brought back to the PC shop who builds this com for me, the useless technician ran a 3D mark test and let it run for 3-4hrs. No freeze. I took it back home. Problem came back.

2) Open up my CPU with a help of a experienced friend
Disconnect my SAMSUNG SH-S223 22X SATA DVD WRITER
Change the slot of the ram
Took out the battery and replacing it back

3) Ran Tuneup, fix the registry but unable to defrag successfully as the PC always hangs halfway

4) Ran through all the test from Seatools and found no problem. (Would seatools be able to detect bad sectors or do I have to send to the SEAGATE manufacturer?)

5) Reinstall graphic card driver

6) virus scan with AVG Scan 8.5 & Spybot Search & Destroy

I have tried all these solution but it doesn’t help. Should I try reformatting even though it seems like it’s not a software problem here? Could anyone please help me? >.<

Edited by Destinyzx, 20 October 2009 - 05:03 AM.

Advertisements

Destinyzx

Destinyzx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi! i had just done a hijackthis to speed things up! please take a look at it n c if i done it correctly

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:23:12 PM, on 10/20/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brss01a.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\ASUS\EPU-4 Engine\FourEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\MultiScreen\MultiScreen.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia\MPlatform\NokiaMServer.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\bin\AVGIDSUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\Bin\AVGIDSWatcher.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgam.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\GammaTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\bin\AVGIDSMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcmon.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTune.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Shared\SkypeNames.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sogua.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Six Engine] "C:\Program Files\ASUS\EPU-4 Engine\FourEngine.exe" -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X IDE Setup] C:\WINDOWS\RaidTool\xInsIDE.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MultiScreen] C:\Program Files\MultiScreen\MultiScreen.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NokiaMServer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia\MPlatform\NokiaMServer /watchfiles
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl05a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGIDS] "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\bin\AVGIDSUI.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: GammaTray.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Status Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Office Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebo...oUploader55.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSWatcher - AVG - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\IdentityProtection\agent\Bin\AVGIDSWatcher.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: MagicTuneEngine - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
O23 - Service: nProtect GameGuard Service (npggsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\GameMon.des.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\Nokia\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Program Statistics Service (TuneUp.ProgramStatisticsSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe

--
End of file - 9164 bytes

Destinyzx

Destinyzx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
tried playing wc3 just now and got this. shortly after closing the program i left my com idle and it freeze. i read that it could be related to a faulty ram?

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Destinyzx.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Destinyzx

Destinyzx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi! thx for the reply! ^^
i will try out the memtest tonite and will post back my finding tml. thx =)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and we will monitor this topic for your response.

Destinyzx

Destinyzx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi!

i have run a memtest on one of my test and no error is brought up. but the gd news is my computer had stopped freezing for the whole day.
so could i assume that the problem lies with my other ram stick? currently im using winxp sp3 32bit running on 2gb ram. could it be that this version of windows could only run up to 3gb, thats why my computer started freezing when i fix 4gb memory in?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Test the other stick of memory.
The system and specifically XP 32bit will utilize up to 3.5 gigs of the 4 gigs of memory.
If running with only one stick of memory has stopped the freezing it could be that the other stick is faulty.
We will await your results on the memory. :) :)