Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade Question..

• Please log in to reply

Untowire

Untowire

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

I have a question regarding CPU.

I have an Acer 4220. The battery life is bad, I've upgraded the Celeron CPU to Intel Duo Core T7300. Sad to say, the bettery life has not improved.

I did a search and found a Low Voltage CPU L7500 (Socket P) that would fit my laptop. Does anybody know if this Low Voltage CPU really help my battery life?

Your help and understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The battery life is bad

How bad? A search of this laptop shows users are getting little more than 2 hours of battery use. If you are not getting that, I would suspect the battery first. How old is the battery?

I doubt a new CPU will help much. Certainly CPUs consume big chunks of power, but graphics solutions are hungry beasts too. Drives, RAM, fans, network interfaces, sounds, etc. all eat power, so not sure a few minutes extra will make you happy. And note one method these CPUs use to conserve power is to toggle down in speed.

You might consider just buying a spare battery.