Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msmvbcd.dll Missing

• Please log in to reply

Marotta1

Marotta1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I'm wondering if someone has the msmvbcd.dll file on their computer. My good friend's father's computer is missing this dll file and it is causing all kinds of errors. He does not have a Windows XP disc and I don't have the dll on my XP Media Center edition either. I believe they have Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide on how I can fix this or where I can find the dll file. It doesn't seem to be anywhere on the internet.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Why do you need the DLL? Is it for a specific program? Describe the errors being caused and make sure the spelling of the file is correct.

Marotta1

Marotta1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I need it because Windows is asking for it for every program and service it is trying to run. I don't remember the specific errors it's giving because I'm not at that computer now. I will check them again, but it won't even allow some programs like Firefox or Opera browser to start without the dll.

Edited by Marotta1, 21 October 2009 - 10:52 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have your Windows CD?
If so, then go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
Pop in your Cd when it prompts for it.
If not, then check if you have a folder called I386 at the root of your C: drive.

Also, when did these errors start? Do things work fine in safe mode?
Do you suspect malware?