Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound in Vista x64 Home Premium after power outage

• Please log in to reply

caravelle420

caravelle420

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This afternoon when I woke up, I found out that the power went out in the house since I had to reset my clocks. Upon turning on my computer, there was no sound. Anything I try to play now plays but without sound. I've tried uninstalling the drivers for the sound controllers and letting Vista reinstall them after reboot, nothing. I've tried updating all of my codecs using the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, nothing. I tried both VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player 11, both have no sound. Under speaker properties in Windows Media Player 11, it shows nothing under sound playback, but if you click advanced, it brings up the tabs for Playback, Recording as well as Sounds and you'll see the audio lines next to the Speakers in Playback moving as if there's sound. I've also tried downloading the latest drivers from Realtek to no avail. I've also tried connecting the jack to every other sound port on the computer (6 on back, 2 in front) to no avail. Everything worked fine last night as I watched an episode of Psych perfectly fine before bed.

I have a Systemax Beast IV computer w/ Windows Vista Home Premium x64. I am using a USB internet card through my local cell phone provider w/ internet connection sharing on through ethernet that way everyone else at the house can use the internet through a wireless router so I pretty much have to leave my computer on all night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to work on this about the last 3 hours and still cannot get it to work.

Thanks.

Advertisements

caravelle420

caravelle420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I figured out the problem. It was pretty stupid. I forgot to turn my VCR back on after the power outage. I have my jack spliced with RCAs going to my VCR and then out to my surround system. All is well once again!