Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Upgrading Dell Laptop XPS1210 Memory

• Please log in to reply

Sytheii

Sytheii

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi
A long time ago I had thought about upgrading my memory for my laptop, and then I forgot about it, but now I want to give it a go and upgrade. I did some significant research about what to get, but in the end I still find myself unsure about what to get that would be best and optimized for my system. I will list what I think are relevant specs about my system to help you guys help me...

I have a Dell XPS 1210 Laptop.
Currently i have 1 GB of memory in there, I believe its 2x512mb modules, and according to the DELL website, max upgradable memory is 4GB (4096mb), ie. 2x2gb modules.

My system has the Intel Core Duo T2300 1.66 processor, so i guess that's two 1.66 ghz processors
according to system information, its called a x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1664Mhz
I don't know what my Bus speed is for my processor(s) According to one post i read, determining this helps in finding out what memory to get...

ref http://forum.noteboo...ad.php?t=101124

I know that my laptop takes 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 memory from looking at the optional memory upgrades on the dell website, but what I am not sure about is the speed, ie. PC4200, PC5400, PC6400, or PC8000, and the cas latency.

On newegg.com, where i have been shopping around looking at what is available, the differences in memory seem to be mostly in cas latency, or timing, and the speeds of which i mentioned before.

Can anyone help me figure out what memory would be best for my system? For the most part my laptop is an internet, word processing, movie watching, music listening, photoshop using pc. I used to play lots of games, but not much nowadays because i have my 360....but i am looking forward to playing starcraft 2 when it is released.

If anyone who can help needs any more info about my system, I will do my best to get it to you can help me help myself!

Thanks in advance

Sytheii

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Sytheii

Sytheii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Thanks for that reference, i had seen programs online but i wasn't sure which to used to get the info i needed...

So after running that utility, they told me that I can run DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.

So as long as I get memory that is ddr2 so dimm that is "5300" it will be compatible and optimized for my system?
I notice that the memory they suggest has a cas latency of 5...the memory that I was looking at @ newegg has a cas latency of 4, and meets those other requirements...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820134661

but there are other manufacturers that also have the same requirements like G Skill or Mushkin...

Can anybody confirm what I have said here and possibly recommend a manufacturer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
partial to crucial and ocz.
As long as the memory meets the standards crucial online shows then you should be ok.
Mushkin is a good brand and I see alot of people purchasing it.

Sytheii

Sytheii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it. I did some more reviews of the different brands you recomended, and I went with the Mushkin, partly because people say good things about the company, and I kinda like the name :)

Till next time.

Me!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and good luck with your upgrade.
Please let us know how everything turns out good or bad. This always help someone else who may have a similar issue. :) :) :)

Sytheii

Sytheii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

You are welcome and good luck with your upgrade.
Please let us know how everything turns out good or bad. This always help someone else who may have a similar issue. :) :) :)

Hi again!

Got my mushkin memory modules in the mail yesterday, very easy install! One goes on the bottom, one on the top under the keyboard, and literally only like 4 screws total that you have to undo to get at the areas.

I of course was very careful of what I was doing, but man I tell ya, the hardest part was getting the new memory out of the plastic box! They put it in those hard plastic cases, and it was wedged in there so tight, I thought i'd break it just trying to get it out of the box!

But I have to say I notice the difference right off the bat. Startup programs load, like, literally instantly....helps i did a fresh install of windows recently, but the difference is very noticable, and I'm happy.

Though speaking of my clean install of windows xp, I was doing some research about windows 7 and compatibility with my system, and according to their compatability program, the only thing lacking in my computer to run it is my graphics card...does anyone know if you can upgrade from the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 that I have in my comp?

Perhaps i should start a new thread...but i was reading about the situation on another board, although the comments there are pretty old...and they seem to be saying you are screwed, unless you replace your motherboard...which I might be amenable to doing, if I knew it was possible to fit something new in my laptop...anyone have any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great hear the memory arrived and it is working really good for you.
As for your system running Windows 7 if your GPU is lacking then you would not be able to use the graphic intensive windows 7 to it's fullest extent.
Replacing a MOBO in a laptop is not only not cost effective it can be a waste of time. In order to do this you would most likely have to go to the manufacturer of the system and that can be very expensive and very stressful.
It would be more advisable to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 already installed on it.