Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet sharing

• Please log in to reply

vbguru12000

vbguru12000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to computers, however, I have 0 knowledge about networking. What I'm trying to do is this. We currently have a cable modem hooked up to one computer. I would like to connect another computer to the first computer so that both may use the internet. Now here's the catch. I do not want to buy a router. From what I understand, using a crossover cable will let me create a 2 computer network. However, right now, the computer with the internet connects to the cable modem through the onboard networking device. I do however, know the modem came with a USB connector. So what I want to know is if I connect the modem via USB to the one computer, then go buy and run crossover cable between the two computers, will both be able to access the internet? Also, could someone give me specifics on the type of cable I need? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Um, so basically the only wireless thing in your apartment is the adapter in your laptop right?

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
haha whoops sorry, wrong post

GUSTACY

GUSTACY

• Pip
  • 7 posts
lol yeah dude you are helping me remember..... :tazz:

vbguru12000

vbguru12000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyone?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello vbguru12000,
Yes, what you suggest is possible. Whilst both computers will be able to access the internet, you should be aware that the second computer (Computer B) will have to wait for Computer A to process all of it's requests -- this will result in a slower connection for Computer B, and depending on Computer A's specs, may cause lag on Computer A. The type of cable you'll need is... a Crossover cable! They're all the same, the only thing you'll need to do is ensure that the cable you purchase is long enough to connect the two computers.. So you might want to measure that.
Personally, I prefer Routers :tazz:
Good luck.

vbguru12000

vbguru12000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you soooo much for your reply/help.

dsltechsupport

dsltechsupport

• Pip
  • 2 posts
buy a router, about 60 bucks at best buy, connect your modem to the router and then the router to each pc. you can even go wireless, however it will cost more, this will keep you from haveing drag in the first pc and both will be able to access the internet at the same time as well as share files