Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

from xp pro to windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Icologis

Icologis

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'v been using xp pro. Will be going to windows 7 upon release (on a new computer) Which version is closest to xp pro? Is ultimate worth the extra $$

Advertisements

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
A few thoughts for you... If you will not need language packs and you are not worried about encrypting your hdd with MS bitlocker - the Ultimate is a complete waste of your money.

That leaves you with two more choices - Pro or Home

If you are not worried about backing up to a home network (using windows 7)- and you do not need to join your computer to a domain (you can still join a home network - aka homegroup or known in XP as a workgroup - without pro) - then you do not need Pro. However - if you plan on using the XP mode - which is a VM of XP - you need Pro.

To answer your question - Vista 7 Pro is most like XP Pro. Ultimate is a complete waste of money for the average non business user - and Pro is a waste of money for the average home user. Simply because of the XP mode (VM) - I will opt for Pro myself.

Edited by geekhelp4u, 22 October 2009 - 05:49 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Vista 7 Pro ?
What is that?
I am getting Professional just for the XP compatibility mode alone.

Icologis

Icologis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Vista 7 Pro ?
What is that?
I am getting Professional just for the XP compatibility mode alone.

wish you would look at my build added today 10/22

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Vista 7 Pro ?
What is that?

My bad... was working on a Vista machine at the time I was posting that and had a brain fart... it was supposed to read Windows 7 Pro