Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ipconfig /release....

• Please log in to reply

AzzySkies

AzzySkies

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yesterday, I was testing somethings trying to figure out why I couldn't ping my friend in Hamachi. I came across a help topic on Yahoo Answers and saw the "ipconfig /release and renew" commands so I tried them out hoping they might help me out. So I did an ipconfig /release and everything disonnected, and I did an ipconfig /renew, however the ipconfig /renew didn't work as I thought it would so I ended up spending about 10 mintues or so trying to figure what the [bleep] I just did. I went to services.msc made my DNS, RCP, and the DCHC(i think that's what it was called) to automatic rebooted and restarted my modem. Now my internet is back and fine now but it lags a bit more than usual so I ran another ipconfig /renew to see if it would do something but I get a

"No operation can be preformed on Local Area Connect 2 while it has its media disconnected"

(prior to all this Loca Area Connect 2 was fine, and was not disconnected, this happened after ipconfig /release)

So what I was wonder is how the [bleep] do I get it back connected, or does it even have anything to do with my problem?(My computer is vista, not sure about 32 or 64 bit)

~Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Have you tried rebooting? That normally restores connectivity

Proper way of running cmd (command prompt):
From start menu: start > accessories > cmd
right click on cmd and select run as administrator.

AzzySkies

AzzySkies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I have done rebooting and have run CMD as administrator. Both did not work.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
does it say "media disconnected" when you just do an ipconfig? (no options)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore?
Did you try to bypass the router?

AzzySkies

AzzySkies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

does it say "media disconnected" when you just do an ipconfig? (no options)

Yes it still does.

Did you try system restore?
Did you try to bypass the router?

Not sure how to do those.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
To bypass router, connect computer straight to the modem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Based on the symptoms your describing, ,I would just unplug the routers power and wait a few seconds. Plug the power back in and give the router a chance to do it's thing for a min before checking your pc.