Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

sstafford

sstafford

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have read quite a few of the topics on xp not loading. I have the same issues, and I wanted to try the repair as I don't want to lose my information on my computer either. The screen I get when I tried to go to safe mode doesn't allow me choose the options. I have a message above the options telling me that windows xp did not shut down properly and will start in so many minutes and it is counting down. Windows XP logo loads but the screen goes blank and the cursor in on the screen.

I have tried several things to get to the BIOS screen so I could boot from the OS disk but failed, I tried the following keys with no luck

ctl,del,F1,F10 nothing
F2 nothing
F10 nothing
F12 nothing (this is the key to get into my setup) but it doesn't let me

what else can I do?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

What kind of computer do you have? If it's an OEM (dell, hp, etc), what's the model number? If it's home built, what's the motherboard model number?

sstafford

sstafford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Dimensiion 4600 Series Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66 Ghz 1024 MB SDram at 333 MHz 40 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
According to THIS, you need to hit the F2 key to get into bios. However, you can't just hit the key just once, you need to tap it continually so the bios will catch it. Restart the computer, and as soon as it begins to boot, continually tap the F2 key. It should get you in.

sstafford

sstafford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried the F2 about 30 times as you said to do it and I am still getting the safe mode but I can not get off the line that says windows will start normally in seconds, ( it starts counting down)

I do have a laptop that has windows xp if that helps with any suggestions.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You may need to pull the bios battery to reset the bios.

Disconnect the AC from the computer.
Open the case
Look for the battery and remove it. Be careful you don't break the battery holder.
Leave the battery out for about 5 minutes.
Reinstall the battery
Connect the AC
Start the computer and try to enter bios again

Read the online documentation HERE. There are sub-links to how to do everything you need to do. Be sure to read the first link on the page... Before you begin

If resetting the bios doesn't help, then you will need to start doing some heavy hardware troubleshooting... like removing ram modules, and such.

sstafford

sstafford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi,

new day, I tried getting into bios today and was finally successful! Changed the sequence order to 1) cd drive
2) hard drive 3) floppy, but when I used the operating system disk it still would not boot from it. So I figured I would try it again tomorrow. Will let you know the outcome.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What kind of disc are you using. Is it a retail, OEM, or copy?

Tapping the F12 key directly after starting the computer should bring up the boot device menu where you can choose what to boot from. See if the CDROM is listed and select it. Sometimes the bios will cough and not select the correct boot device, or if there are two CDROMs, it'll just try the first one and forget about the second device. Try the F12 route.