Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with CPU

• Please log in to reply

Meraklas

Meraklas

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I need some help with this.. I don't consider myself at all bad with computers, but this is kind of stumping me..

My CPU is constantly at 100%. No processes are using more than 30 at a time, most staying between 0 and 5, but as long as I have WMP open, or Firefox, or MSN the CPU percentage rockets to 100%. I've done scans with PC Tools Antivirus and Spyware doctor, along with full checks of different areas of my computer with Advanced SystemCare Free. I've attached a security analysis for any hijacked settings, if anyone would like to take a look..

Attached Files

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Meraklas...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
for xp..click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...click on startup tab...
uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...
for vista ... use the command MSCONFIG in the field Start Search of the Start menu...