Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What made the PC advance?

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh and plus it's not Windows. :)

Advertisements

lavega21

lavega21

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I like MACs nothing against it. My first encounter with one was while I was taking a design class at my local college. It has this smoothness and it is really quite ride. Having said that I still prefer a PC because of its flexibility and its upgrade ability. Technology changes a lot and if I needs a better anything in my system I want to have the option to just easily upgrade and change what I want. Pricing is always a plus with PCs.

Mac right now is huge with really young people. Apple has done a great job marketing to the high schoolers and college students.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I think the reason they're so popular among students are because they are so durable. The reason they are quite pricey is because they use high quality parts, unlike some of the cheaper laptop companies. Two of my siblings have Macbook Pro's, and they've never had a problem with them. I've heard next to no complaints about the Macbook from fellow classmates.

I'm not saying I prefer the Macbook, I love my HP laptop. However I do admit they are some nice machines.

If I was going to buy a desktop, I would go PC without a doubt. Mac's are virtually un-upgradable, which kind of leaves you with an obsolete machine after a few years.

lavega21

lavega21

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
mpascal,

In no way I am an expert or have the enough experience on Macs, heck I don't even have on yet, the wife wants a pink Mac book LOL. I once read an article that stated that lots of people think that because they hear less user with problems that the Mac is more durable and better quality, but that is not always the case.

If you think about it, what would you say the sales ratio is between the two? 10 to 1? maybe even more no?

Lets say u sale 1000 pcs you get 200 unhappy customers = 20%

Lets say u sale 100 Macs you get 4 unhappy customers = 40%

It made sense to me and something to think about. I never looked at it that way.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hi,

I think right now, around 12% of houses in the United States have at least one Macintosh computer. Obviously, the PC is still dominating the market, but Macintosh is slowly creeping up. In my experience (which is not very much), I've really enjoyed the computer's Apple makes. They're very easy to use, but can also appeal to the advanced PC user as well. Like Ferrari said, I would definitely love to own a Macbook in my lifetime, but I know it's not going to be any time soon.

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

the Mac is certainly a better system

Good post, but I disagree with the above quote. :)

Why do you disagree, Troy? I couldn't imagine anything being better than a mac except maybe a custom "best of breed" built PC.

Now, I have used my XPS M1530 and it has been a dream machine. Sometimes I get a few errors but it is related to a driver or an add-on software package to Outlook or IE.

D

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I can't answer for Troy, but I'll guess at his answer :)

I think when I (and maybe Troy) think of the PC, I think of the custom built "best of breed" computers, not OEMs. I don't think I'll ever buy an OEM PC like Dell, or HP, etc since I can build them. And I think it may have been said already, those companies do use low-quality components, especially power supplies with motherboards coming a close second.

So now there is a grey line, Does "Dell" = PC? HP = PC? Or Microsoft = PC? Apple and Microsoft are different in that Apple/Mac is Apple/Mac whereas PC is all kinds of things, MS, Dell, HP, Custom, EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc. etc.

See what I'm saying? It's like a Mac is a custom machine, but manufactured just by Apple. But the typical PC like a Dell is just B-Grade components thrown together. Custom PC's can have extremely good quality, but now you may of had an inexperienced user build it. A Mac vs. a Custom PC built by someone knowledgeable is a close race, but like I said earlier, not in the cost department though.

I hope you all were able to follow that, if not give it a re-read.

EDIT: Which is why I'd really like to have a Mac for my laptop. I'm a little iffy on PC Laptops.

Edited by Ferrari, 30 October 2009 - 06:57 PM.

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
It is an interesting debate along with some really good commercials from Mac (the Windows commercials are decent with that "Find A PC" campaign, but I think Apple wins in the commercial space).

I believe that Dell, HP, et. al. do have some product lines of quality systems (Dell is XPS, Toshiba is Quosimo, HP bought Alienware I think). Granted, the laptop arena is getting closer to desktop alternatives (see Toshiba's dual GPU Quosimo). But they still generate a lot of heat, and you have to sacrifice something (weight, USB ports, keyboard size, etc).

Since you can buy a small form factor PC, the laptop isn't the only option for portability, but you wouldn't take your SFF PC with you on the plane

Again, it is an interesting discussion because I believe the consumer wins either way. I have no problem using a Mac if the industry goes in that direction someday.

PS - Don't count Microsoft out if that happens, its been proven to work on a Mac without a problem and its fast. Can you say "shell" option (e.g. Linux)?

D

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Haha I like this...What made the PC advance...MACS!! :)

I'm actually starting to loose faith in Macs. My old college used to have them in the Music Tech department and there were multitudes of problems with the displays and sound and especially freezing due to heat.
Also my brother and his girlfriend have both got macs for Uni (being design students) but have both been in touch with apple support because the battery has died. In fact my brother had his sent away for 3 different reasons each occurring in 2 consecutive weeks.

However saying that they didn't need to pay anything. The Apple care is fantastic which is something you don't get with a custom PC, the ability to take the things back and get them repaired under a really great warranty. Plus the face Apple have stores to take the goods into to be fixed and the training that can be given on how to use them.

The elderly seems to be the ones going for macs more. The usability and control seems to suite them over a Windows PC, plus it doesn't have the requirement for the over the top graphics.

I think its an argument not as to what's "better" but what you need it for. They really are not good gaming machines, most just don't have the power or graphics unless you re mortgage your house to pay for it, but they have some really good programs for Music, Video and production that the PC cannot fight. Also the software that is compatible with a PC doesn't seem to be worth the hassle as its buggy whereas the Mac seems sleek and seamless. Photoshop for example I feel is so much smoother on a Mac than PC but I know a few will argue with that.

:)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I just don't like using the Mac OS, it's wrong. Windows works exactly how I want it, I know it and can get it to do anything I need.

Windows on a Mac machine? At least it's a start. :)

Advertisements