Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\windows\system32\config\system.sav is missing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let's see if the problem is your installation then.
We are going to attempt what is called a Parallel Installation.
This will keep your current data intact but hopefully allow you to boot into windows with a fresh copy of windows installed.
Please do the following steps in order so that we can make sure the steps work correctly.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Advertisements

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have to appoligize my internet has been wacky today. I am running the insatll now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and that is no problem. I am not here all the time today.... Football on sunday. :)

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok that worked. What would be the best way to install new drivers.

Drivers that are missing:

Mass storage controller
Multimedia audio controller
Network controller
PCI Device
Pci Modem
SM bus controller
Video controller(VGA compatible)

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have your motherboard drivers disk?
Most of this will be installed if you install the motherboard chipset driver first.
Then the video driver
Network
and everything else should follow.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No I dont! It did not come with any of the cds for the drivers or operating system. And when I went to make a recovery disc I screwed up some how and am unable to make another one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Recovery disk would be a different thing.
Can you tell me what make and model the system is or is it a no name system?
Maybe I can find some information on it.

dhook45

dhook45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
when you say system, do you mean the laptop.

It is a HP DV8000 with Windows XP Home edition.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then what you would need to do is go HERE. Pick the correct model of your system and download all the drivers you listed.
The SMS Controller is the chipset driver so make sure you get that one.
Then get the rest of them.
Burn them all to a cd so you have them for future use.
Then we can continue from there.

mintwindow

mintwindow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I stsrted out with a "system32\config\system" corrupt file warning, not system.sav. Using a boot disk, I had renamed a backup system file to just system.

Oops. That generated the system.sav is corrupt error. It turns out these files are part of the Windows registry.

I fixed this using Hiren's Boot Disk. I searched for files with "registry" in the name on my boot drive. One file beginning "_REGISTRY_" was the system part of the registry. It has the system32\config\system data.

I copied the file into the config directory renaming it system. Now my machine booted up with no complaints.

(I had tried the WinXP repair method, but the WinXP boot disk wasn't happy with my hard drive controller card, even though the machine boots, in good times, using that card.)

Advertisements