Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sitting here with three broken PC's

• Please log in to reply

Coeco

Coeco

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
So im now sitting on one of the three broken PC's which is an old Acer Laptop who won't start in anything else than safemode (Recieving error before login screen that the system cannot start) And im really just craving for help at the moment.

The second PC is a custom built, pretty old and really modified asus with a Geforce graphcard who suddenly just felt like dying after standing such a long time without usage, when i attempt to start it, i get "DISK BOOT FAILURE" Would it be possible to feed it a W7 install disk and then boot it from that or do i need to get new parts and everything?

The third PC is a Gamer Edition AMD X2 Asus who recently aswell died on me when i attempted to install Comodo Firewall during the Restart-To-Install process. If i tried to do a normal reboot, it'd automatically go into a restarting endless loop. I was prompted to do a system restore to go back into past settings. That made it start up windows and all but when i was in, i could only open certain programs (No .exe files, It would open them up in internet explorer, prompting me to "Download" them, they all being exactly 617 kb) I could however change WHICH program i want to open them in and with that i was able to open some more, such as .txt documents opened in notepand. But i have no idea on what i should take with "Open With" on just standard .exe files..

Will be fun to see if you guys can solve this triple mess-burger. All replies appreciated and i'll try responding as quick as i can.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Coeco and welcome to Geeks to Go.
We are going to have to designate the 3 computers so we can keep them separate.
For the laptop (computer 1).
What is the error message that you receive?
Since you can get to safe mode, have you tried doing a system restore?
What is the Operating system we are using on this one?

For computer 2 (custom built).
What is the OS on this one?
Disk boot failure is usually an issue that the bios/computer can't find a hard drive to boot to (or bootable CD or floppy).
Is there a non boot floppy/ cd in the drive?
Is the hard drive seen by the bios? To enter bios use esc, del, F10 (most common)
Does the boot order even show the hard drive?
Check the data cables and power cables.
Are the fans spinning?
Do you hear the drive trying to run?

For the 3rd computer (gaming unit)
What OS is on this unit?
Do you have the OS cd? And is it a recovery cd or a full install CD?
Can you get to the properties of the C drive? If so, under the tool tab, run the error checking.

123runner

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I would suggest you open 3 different topics...one for each pc...just to avoid any confusion ...
for the laptop...once you have booted into safe mode check the device manager for any yellow ! or ? marks...
also have you tried system restore yet...
did you add any new software just prior to the problem...
any program updates including windows just prior to the problem...
give us the make and model # of the laptop...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
3 computers, 3 problems, 3 topics.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
3 computers in one topic?
Banging your head on the KB would be a vacation for you 123Runner.
I have to side with my fellow Techs on this one.
Split them up and let others help on this one.
Think of it as someone bumping in on the topic on you.
Mass confusion will abound. :) :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I agree with that, I just forgot to suggest it.

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks alot for the quick respond and im sorry for the messy topic, i'll try to answer all questions as quick and convenient as i can.

During the final stages of the desktop startup, it gives me an Explorer.Exe - Program Error saying: The program could not be started correctly (oxc0000142) If i click OK, all i see is a blank screen and if i try to open task manager, i get the same error so its stuck.

I've tried it once before but it didn't have any restore points since its generally just really old and doesn't do it automatically

It has a standard version of vista although it was built for XP. Worked without problems until now.

Windows Vista Pro/Ultimate if im not too wrong

Disk boot failure is usually an issue that the bios/computer can't find a hard drive to boot to (or bootable CD or floppy).

Would it work if i gave it a W7 / Vista install disk? Im really not good with repairing dead computers

No

Is the hard drive seen by the bios? To enter bios use esc, del, F10 (most common)

It won't let me bring the bios up, just instantly starts up saying Disk Boot Failure

I don't think so?..

I'll have a friend over and he can check them

Are the fans spinning?

Yes, all of the fans are running, including the graphics card fan

It's a really silent computer and im not good with hardware, i'll have a friend over to take a look at it soon hopefully

What OS is on this unit?

Windows 7

I think i have a windows vista recovery CD but i doubt it will work and since the computer is working fine except when it restarts, i really don't want to degrade its OS

Can you get to the properties of the C drive? If so, under the tool tab, run the error checking.

That only brings me to Folder Options, any guide to do that for W7?

Another quick question, can this DVD burn images onto CD's? Dvd: Sony Nec Optiarc DVD-RW

Thanks once again for the response, i suck at the hardware part with computers.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This is going to get messy real quick.

We need you to create 3 separate posts for the 3 separate computer issues. That is the only way that we are going to keep the issues straight,

Once you have the posts created, then you can copy and paste the questions that are appropriate for each computer into there own post.
We can then answer and assist with the issues.

Thanks
123runner

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

During the final stages of the desktop startup, it gives me an Explorer.Exe - Program Error saying: The program could not be started correctly (oxc0000142) If i click OK, all i see is a blank screen and if i try to open task manager, i get the same error so its stuck.

I've tried it once before but it didn't have any restore points since its generally just really old and doesn't do it automatically

It has a standard version of vista although it was built for XP. Worked without problems until now.

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Windows Vista Pro/Ultimate if im not too wrong

Would it work if i gave it a W7 / Vista install disk? Im really not good with repairing dead computers

No

It won't let me bring the bios up, just instantly starts up saying Disk Boot Failure

I don't think so?..

I'll have a friend over and he can check them

Are the fans spinning?

Yes, all of the fans are running, including the graphics card fan

It's a really silent computer and im not good with hardware, i'll have a friend over to take a look at it soon hopefully

Coeco

Coeco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
What OS is on this unit?

Windows 7

I think i have a windows vista recovery CD but i doubt it will work and since the computer is working fine except when it restarts, i really don't want to degrade its OS

That only brings me to Folder Options, any guide to do that for W7?

Another quick question, can this DVD burn images onto CD's? Dvd: Sony Nec Optiarc DVD-RW

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Coeco

What the other staff and members mean is:

Each computer has a problem therefore you new to create 2 other NEW TOPICS in the appropriate forums. One topic for each computer...

Sorry for the confusion good luck...