Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD PLAYER NOT RECOGNIZED WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL CALL OF DUTY

• Please log in to reply

TerrieA

TerrieA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I DON'T RECEIVE ANY ERROR MESSAGES WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL ANY OF MY COD CD'S. A SCREEN
COMES UP AND TELL'S ME TO PUT THE CD IN THE DRIVE. I AM NOT COMPUTER LITERATE BUT HAVE
TRIED EVERYTHING I KNOW TO GET THE CD/DVD PLAYER TO RECOGNIZE THAT I HAVE A CD IN THERE.
I CAN PLAY OTHER CD'S, JUST NOT MY GAMES. I EVEN HAVE MEDAL OF HONER AND IT WON'T PLAY EITHER.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP AS I AM GETTING REALLY, REALLY FRUSTRATED.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a downloaded copy or a retail store bought cd?
Is cd scratched or dirty?

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is a store bought game and is not scratched.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So any other cd works in your player except for games?

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes. My movies work, I can play music etc. I really appreciate your quick responses. Your Great.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure the games are on cd or are they dvd's?
Is your player a cdrom or a dvd\cdrom?
Has the disks ever worked on your system?

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
They are call of duty and medal of honor cd/dvd ? I don't know what games are on..cd or dvd.
My player is a dvd/cd player and I have what you call a tera byte hard drive. 4 gb of memory. It is really one of the top of the line computers in my mind. I am just not real computer literate. I just wanted a computer that would play and store movies, thats why the tera byte. I so appreciate you following thru with my problem.

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The disc's have never worked on my computer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the games on another system?
I am thinking the problem is the either
The disc's are faulty or the drive itself is having a problem.
With the specs you have shown there is no reason they will not work.
Just as a matter of interest what video card is in your system and does it match or exceed the minimum requirements of the game?

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The video card in my system is NVIDIA GEForce 8600 GT and yes, one of the call of duty dvd's works in my laptop

Advertisements

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Something strange happened. After months of not being able to run Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, I had left the dvd in the dvd drive and had forgotten about it. My computer went into sleep mode today for a while and when I woke it, low and behold the system was asking me if I wanted to install COD4 Modern Warfare. I did install it, just haven't played yet. Just a few days ago I upgraded from Vista to Window's 7. I tried the dvd right after the installation and it still didn't work so I don't know what is going on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like it could have been just a hiccup with the system and reading the disk.
Please let us know if the game does in deed play now.
Try playing the game on the lowest settings and if it works then increase the settings alittle till you get a good FPS and no problems with playing.

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The game COD did play and the dvd started right up. Can you tell me why if I installed this dvd on my computer,
why do I have to use the dvd in order to play it? Have always wondered that about different installations. Also, what
is FPS? What does that mean?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
FPS is Frames Per Second
Some games do require that the disk still be inserted while playing.
I use to play Rainbow Six and even after installing the game the disk would need to be in the drive to play.
There maybe parts of the game which do not get installed and that is why it needs to be in the drive.
Maybe someone with more experience with this game can answer that question better then I can.
Most of the time I found it to be the maps that the disk were needed for.

TerrieA

TerrieA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you RShaffer61 for all of your help. I really appreciate the fact that you follow thru with a problem. I appreciate the ideas Thank you