Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

mizark70

mizark70

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a wireless Belkin N router, its used by about 4 computers, 2 are during the day when im not at home, its used by the busniess below me and 2 are used during the evenings from in my apt along with a PS3. There is gambling spot about 50 yards from me and i believe they are connecting through it. Is there any program that i can download to see who all is connected into the router?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why bother?
Just change the wireless security key (or set one) then only give it to those who need it. You can do this by logging into the router's control panel. Full details are in your manual that came with it.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Why bother?
Just change the wireless security key (or set one) then only give it to those who need it. You can do this by logging into the router's control panel. Full details are in your manual that came with it.

I know i can do that but i would have to set up the computers for the people that run the business below me and i work fairly long hours and they arent open when i leave or come home. So thats why i was just trying to see if there was a program.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I know i can do that but i would have to set up the computers for the people that run the business below me and i work fairly long hours and they arent open when i leave or come home. So thats why i was just trying to see if there was a program.

are you aware that it's against most ISP contract agreements to share your internet connection like this? they may have the right (if they see fit to check) to disconnect your service because you're sharing the connection the way that you are

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

are you aware that it's against most ISP contract agreements to share your internet connection like this? they may have the right (if they see fit to check) to disconnect your service because you're sharing the connection the way that you are

Already looked into it, its in the same buidling that is less than so many sq. feet and both parties have agreed. Perfectly legel.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...then

...the only way to PREVENT people from connecting is to secure the router connection

if you log into the router's console page and go through the tabs you should see one that lists a host connection history, or actively connected hosts...if you can identify the machines that are yours and the ones from the office down stairs you could add those machines to the mac address filter (you can enable mac filtering without setting up encryption like wep or wap)...that way only those computers can connect and you won't have to change anything on the machines in the office downstairs