Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home operating system re-install?

• Please log in to reply

Okie1

Okie1

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am trying to prepare my computer for a reinstall of the windows operating system if ever I should need to do that.This computer was given to me so I don't have any disks. Anyone have any advice?

Compaq Presario V2000
microsoft windows xp
Home edition
version 2002
Service Pack 3

Thanks.

Edited by Okie1, 25 October 2009 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

<snip>... if ever I should need to do that... <snip> Anyone have any advice?

Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you don't have the disks, then you need to borrow or buy a disk to reinstall windows. What more do you need to know?

Okie1

Okie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the reply Makai.

It's just that I have never had to install or re-install windows and I don't want to be unprepared. I was hoping that there would be files on my computer that I could use to create an OS disk. Was also wondering if there was a way to put all of my drivers on a disk so that I could easily re-install those too. From your reply I'm assuming all I need is an OS disk. What other info will I need beside the license #.
Thanks again,
Okie1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This being a Compaq it should have a recovery partition on it that will allow for the format and reinstall of the OS.
This would take the system back to what it was when it was brand new.
Makai can explain that I'm sure. You are in great hands with him.

Okie1

Okie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

This being a Compaq it should have a recovery partition on it that will allow for the format and reinstall of the OS.
This would take the system back to what it was when it was brand new.
Makai can explain that I'm sure. You are in great hands with him.

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

It depends on when the computer was built. Some OEM manufactures started using recovery partitions rather than supplying CDs with new computers. Computer with recovery partitions will likely have an application to create recovery disks. You computer may have this if the original OS is loaded and no reinstall was done. It's hard to tell from the model number you posted as there are varieties of the V2000. What is the exact model number of the laptop? It will help to investigate your options better. There should be a sticker on the bottom with that information. Also if there is a service tag number somewhere, you can look it up on the Compaq site and possibly find the build spec on the computer.

Okie1

Okie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Here is a screen shot of the system info if that will help.
sys_info.jpg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is there no sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the information?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to what I have found there should have been a recovery cd with the system when brand new.

Okie1

Okie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Is there no sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the information?

Yes V2508WM, according to compaq it was originally shipped with a recovery cd.
I don't have the disk, just my luck. Thank you both.

http://h20000.www2.h...ID=c00572256#A1

Edited by Okie1, 25 October 2009 - 07:26 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I don't have the disk, just my luck.

Yes, but you do have a license and that too should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If the sticker is missing, you could download any number of applications to discover the license number of XP (I recommend Aida32) so if you ever needed to reinstall using a regular XP Home OEM disc, you could use your license, and then go HERE to download all your drivers.

To use Aida32, just extract the zip file contents to a folder somewhere. Launch the Aida32 application, and look down the left menu for Software>Licenses. The right window will list all the licenses Aida32 has discovered. Copy them and keep them safe for later use.

Okie1

Okie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Great, thanks for the info. It really helps.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome. Any more questions, or are we done?

Okie1

Okie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That's it.
Thanks Makai and rshaffer61.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts