Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Not Working Intermittently.....

• Please log in to reply

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello
My Husband's PC has a problem with the monitor. Sometimes it just doesn't come on when the PC boots up. The "on" button on the monitor flashes and then goes out when this happens. It doesn't happen that often (maybe once a week), but it's just happened now and I can't get it to come back on.

The screen stays completely blank, but I think I detect some faint flickering from it. (that just might be my old eyes playing tricks).

Very rarely this also happens whilst he is using the PC, the monitor just goes blank and he gets it to come back on by repeatedly shutting down and re-starting. It will work on about the 5th or 6th try. This has happened about 3 or 4 times in a year.

Neither one of us is PC-clever.

Any idea what I should do? Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello dontcensorme.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Can you supply some system information please.
Make and model of computer
Make and model of monitor.
Age of monitor

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for replying :)

The make of the PC is Evesham (don't know the model, there's nothing written on the case) and the monitor is Viewsonic, model no. VS10162. It's about 3 years old and has 2gb of ram and Windows XP. Same for monitor, it was bought with the PC.

I've shut down and re-started a few times now and it's still not working.

(I'm writing this from my own PC in case you're wondering)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then let's do some testing.
Can you try the Viewsonic on your system to see if the monitor is the problem or if the system is the problem?
I suspect the monitor is failing and that is why it works sometimes.
I owned a Viewsonic monitor for a couple of years and it did the exact same issue as what you are experiencing.
This will let us know if the what I suspect is true.

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
OK, will do. Will have to wait for hubby to come home though. I can't lift my monitor, it's one of those old heavy ones with a big deep back on it. Thanks again.

Edited by dontcensorme, 27 October 2009 - 05:58 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds exactly like the one I use to own.
We are in no hurry and I don't want you to get hurt.
Just post when you are ready and I will monitor this topic for your reply. :)

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm so sorry, it appears I've wasted your time for nothing.

Husband got back last night and wanted to try re-starting his PC before switching monitors, of course it worked that time and then he didn't want to switch at all.

Persuaded him to try anyway but he said the connections were different and he couldn't connect his monitor to my PC.

I thought he'd be grateful that someone wanted to help (he knows even less about computers than I do, which is saying something), but apparently not.

I feel awful for wasting your time. Thanks for being willing to help, anyway.

P.S.
You did help; after you asked for the model no. I realised I should have thought of Googling that (duh) and I saw a few people have had the same problem. Looks like a new monitor might be needed soon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please don't feel like you are wasting my time. This is what I enjoy doing and if anything you did realize the googling did help.
I am happy to have been of assistance and I will continue to monitor this topic in case you have any other questions.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.

Thaigreencurry

Thaigreencurry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the exact same problem. It happened since getting a BSOD several weeks ago but this may be just a coincidence. I have tried several monitors and they all show the same symptoms so I know the monitors are OK.

I sometimes get the PC to wake up the monitor if I take out all the USB cables but this doesn't always work, I have tried removing the graphics card and reinserting and this occasionally works too. I am getting to the stage where I leave the PC on because I know if I turn it off or restart, the monitor will probably not come on.

I updated the driver for the graphics card but this hasn't improved it so I'm at a loss now what to do, apart from try a new graphics card.

HELP!!!!

Chris

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Thaigreencurry

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.