Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my 'Gaming' PC

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, I am off for the weekend, I'll be glad to throw out a few suggestions for you when I'm back. Someone else may contribute in the meantime.

Cheers

Advertisements

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Bump?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry mate, had a flatout weekend - you should have let me know sooner! I'll have a quick look for you and get back to you shortly.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Is your current hard drive really IDE? That's what it reports above. Also do you have a burner or just a DVD-ROM drive?

If we can keep your current hard drive and RAM, we could have a really nice looking system here.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

[attachment=35855:Cart.JPG]

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a DVD reader in my computer right now and I have a burner in another computer downstairs

EDIT: Forgot to add, how do I tell is my harddrive is IDE? I read something on yahoo answers about the cables, I have these small red ones that are about the size of my thumb that go in it.

Edited by Henry7212, 13 November 2009 - 03:36 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep that sounds like SATA, which is good.

What do you think of my suggestions above?

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Only thing I don't like is the case, reviews said the power button breaks easily, if I were to search for one it just needs to be a mid tower case?

I couldn't find the video card/motherboard on tigerdirect or newegg but wondering if I should get a video card with 1g instead of 512 since i only have 2gigs of ram in the computer

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I use Cooler Master cases a lot and have never had a problem with them, if you are careful with it then it should be fine. Otherwise there are other similar models around, just make sure it has good in-case air cooling.

For the video card, just grab whatever is the cheaper card, for a build of this budget it wouldn't make a difference how much video RAM the card has.

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
could you get me the url's to the motherboard/cpu?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128376

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103656

There you go, I had to manually find them. :)

Advertisements

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm wondering if this power supply would be better than the one you posted, 200watts more and 50 dollars
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2533

also wouldn't it be better for me to get geforce/nvidia cards so that i can use my current card with the new one?

And how do i buy the deactivated items on newegg?

Sorry for all the questions but your help is appreciated

Edited by Henry7212, 21 November 2009 - 10:47 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That OCZ is a good deal, I suggest you go for it. :)

If you want to run SLI then I would need to re-do the motherboard setup, don't worry about running two video cards with this budget.

If the items are deactivated on Newegg, see if you can find it elsewhere in stock. Otherwise let me know what you can't get and I'll find you an alternative.

Cheers

Henry7212

Henry7212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Do you have any other reccomendations for video cards? One with a litle more power?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The single next step up would be the following:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150436

However the jump in price tells me it's not worth it. I can't even find the original 4850, the cheapest one is around the $120 mark now as pricing has changed a bit.