Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista KOSD? Vista does not boot "Normally," but able to use

• Please log in to reply

MikeAN

MikeAN

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Moderator-
Please read the entire thread before telling me things that were already included("be sure to explain what you can/can't do in terms of logging in so the helper can work around it."). If I knew how to copy and paste my logs, that would also be helpful. Also, I read through the entire Terms of Use, and nowhere did I break them in my previous thread that was closed by a passive aggresive moderator who said I did. Please know your own Terms of Use before accusing me of breaking them. Thanks!

For People who are actually willing to help -
Relevant (?) Information
Toshiba Qosmio
Windows Vista (Premium?)
McAfee
Firefox, Safari and IE.

My computer went bezerk and Black Screened. It has continued to do this when trying to boot Windows "Normally." It looks like its loading, goes to a black screen with only a cursor (From what I read that is the Black Screen of Death).

I should preface the rest by saying that I can log into Windows via Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and "" with Command Prompt. I can access everything you would expect in those modes.

I know I also contracted some viruses at that time last night too. The viruses all seem to be Trojans mimicking google, Windows Defender, etc. None looked severe enough to KSOD me. However, I downloaded a full version of McAfee just to make sure. Once installed from Safe Mode with Networking it would not allow me to open it. I assume that is a virus attacking that, but it still doesn't explain the KSOD.

I did read that it may be the eventlog preventing me from booting windows properly. I don't know how to get into that, or if that is even the problem. I also RegEdited a couple of the viruses out following Symantec.Com's removal process. I have also done system restore to Yesterday (when I know it was working fine) to no avail. I do not have the system restore disk (or it's buried somewhere).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Geeks!

Mike

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to RE-READ your last post where you say

I was trying to watch illegal episodes of Dexter online last night.

we will NOT help you with anything illegal, and it's in your best interest to know that watching movies illegally generally means you're using a technology (P2P, illegal websites, etc...) that already operates on the fringes of the legal system, which means that these technologies probably also come with a hefty price tag in the form of malware installers and other such badness

we will NOT help you with anything illegal here....period

to that end you should also read the part of troy's post where he told you to go to the malware forum and follow the steps/rules for posting about getting malware assistance

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

also, as a side note...it's in your best interest to NOT post on our forums with a bad attitude, it makes it very unlikely that any of our staff or community members will want to help you. we're all volunteers and do this stuff because we like it and people who come around asking for FREE help and then in the same breath post in such a way as to be derogatory or standoffish make our jobs more difficult

MikeAN

MikeAN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First, nowhere in my post was I deragatory. I was simply replying to a passive aggressive comment that was posted to the quesiton I had. Second, watching shows posted on websites is not illegal. It is however, illegal to distrubite them, which I was not doing. Also, nowhere in your terms of use did it say that participating in a fringe (or even illegal, if you believe that) activity on the internet and arriving at a problem because of that, that you would have your thread shut-down. Sure, you reserve the rights to do so, but if we are going to pass on helping people because of how they came about obtainting their problem, maybe we should start questioning and investigating everyone's root cause on this website.

I appreciate you guys volunteering to help people through issues. However, it is necessary to understand that computer troubles can be very stressful. Having someone who "wants to help" accuse me of doing something I should have been (which is debatable) and then cancel my thread, only escalates the stress even more. I don't apologize for my activites that brought about the problem in the first place. Was it a mistake? Obviously. Passive Aggression is for teenage girls, not IT Professionals.

I have no problem with attempting to go through the Malware removal. In fact, I will be doing that tonight. However, nobody has addressed the KSOD, which was my quesiton in the first place. Would Malware effect that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have no problem with attempting to go through the Malware removal. In fact, I will be doing that tonight. However, nobody has addressed the KSOD, which was my quesiton in the first place. Would Malware effect that?

it can...and since you mention the probability of your computer being infected it does us no good to try to work on anything until you get that cleaned up...it's a losing battle

i'm not going to get into a copyright argument...but consuming content that is posted outside of the rules of copyright law is in fact illegal...just because you're not distributing illegal content doesn't mean you're not breaking the law...

also...take not that i've not closed this thread and if/when you post a malware thread it won't get closed either