Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2002 (XP2 SP3)

• Please log in to reply

hampered

hampered

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I had to run System Restore after receiving a black screen with a white arrow. Ater System Restore, I had to reload office and install all updates. I can open Outlook. My mail and folders that were there prior to the problem reappear. I am unable to open Email Accounts to reconnect to my email provider. I fear that I blocked a request from McAfee to block a registry change for Outlook just before the system crashed. I fear I need to make some change to the registry but I don't have a clue as to what needs to be chanaged. The error that I receive when I click on Email Accounts on the Tools menu is:
"The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, please reinstall."

I have run the Outlook Detect and Repair, outlook.exe /resetnavpane, and outlook.exe /firstrun. I have also attempted to repair using the uninstall/repair feature in the Install/Remove Programs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hampered.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
System Restore if you've only gone back a day or so shouldn't have wiped out Office or anything like that, therefore you shouldn't need to be reloading it. How far back did you go?

hampered

hampered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry...it was System Recovery!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Non destructive system recovery I take it?
In which case you need the original CDs before these programs are going to work again, unfortunately. Your original post isn't clear in this aspect.

Edited by Neil Jones, 28 October 2009 - 09:50 AM.

hampered

hampered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Neil,

Yes, it was non- destructive. I have re-installed Office XP. Word and PowerePoint work
as before. All mail and folders work on Outlook. I can't send or receive any mail be-
cause Outlook won't let me select Email Accounts. I get the error msg listed in the
Original post.

I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hampered

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you find any info in the McAfee logs?

hampered

hampered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I ran the repair for MS Office again and was able to configure outlook to work with my email account.

This topic can be closed.

Thanks,

Hampered.